Fig Tree Propagation

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the first time I've tried to propagate any tree and have ended up with some success.

In late January, I cut 5 dormant twigs off my fig tree, hoping to turn them into baby trees. I dipped them in powder root hormone and wrapped each in a wet paper towel. Then I put them in a plastic bag and took them outside.

I put them in a plastic bag so that the paper towels will stay moist, and because the heat and humidity will promote root and bud growth.

Today, I was doing one of my weekly checkups in the bag to find that one of the smaller twigs was budding and had roots. I then planted the tree into a pot and covered the pot completely with a plastic tub to keep in the humidity. I watered lightly and put it in a sunny spot.

All of the other twigs are budding at their roots, so hopefully, I should have plenty of fig trees to pass around!

DFG234018.jpg

~Rio

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very neat! Isn't it fun when your experiment works out??? Enjoy all your new trees!

IzzyM

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Well done!
I've got a couple of fig trees that I rooted from cuttings last year. I don't know what the climate is like where you live, but here in southern Spain if we take some woody cuttings in the autumn and place them in a mix of sand and potting compost, and place them behind a North facing wall, they will have rooted by the spring.

flgardengirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I propagate mine just by cutting off the ends of branches and dipping them into rooting hormone and putting them in pots of peat and perlite and setting them in the shade. I keep the pots semi damp. It is humid enough here that I don't need to tent them with a clear bag or anything. When I lived in AZ, I did use the top of a pop bottle to tent the pots or you can just poke holes in the bottom of a large 2 or 3 litter pop bottle and then use the top part to cover it. You can leave the lid (bottle screw top) on and poke holes into the plastic. You can also do the same thing with a milk jug.

DIYSeattle

Sprout
Reaction score
My neighbor had goats that stripped the outer layer of bark off her tree so I got 2 limbs off the tree to work with. I cut them into about 8 inch peices with several nodes on each cutting. I did not use rooting powder or anything just stuck them down into a pot of half sand and half potting mix and kept them watered, letting them dry just a tad between waterings (watered every few days) and 6 out of 7 have leaves frowing on them quite well now. I put the pot near a basement window inside. The cuttings wer taken about a montha nd a half ago or so. Ill repot them soon into their own pots and put them out i nteh spring.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IzzyM said:
Hey Well done!
I've got a couple of fig trees that I rooted from cuttings last year. I don't know what the climate is like where you live, but here in southern Spain if we take some woody cuttings in the autumn and place them in a mix of sand and potting compost, and place them behind a North facing wall, they will have rooted by the spring.
:welcome IzzyM ! ;)

That's exactly how i root fig cuttings. Its a method they do a lot in Europe. I planted a lot of fig cuttings this past fall, can't wait to see how they'll do come Spring.