Figured out the Sycamore issue!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sycamore Anthracnose

That is what is forcing me to have very old and large trees removed!
The one in the backyard, it had 1/3 dead in it, this year it's half, if not more!

Now I have to cut down yet another tree, I really wanted to save it for the critters to have shade...
Many Sycamore all up and down my road and all over the county have this issue... :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ours are getting pretty old and weak too. Maybe replace it with some fast growing river birch to get shade for the animals quickly?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry you are losing your trees. Sycamores are beautiful trees, it is a shame this disease is affecting them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love sycamores, too. I'm having an ongoing struggle with DH who wants to remove one from our property. He says they are too messy, and it is almost too close to the overhead utility lines. And that fluff they release in the spring!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd probably put in a fruit tree or, if I can get a branch to root, a mulberry! I love the one in the dog yard, it's huge and everything can eat it.

....Or another willow, my fav tree ever!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have fallen in love with sycamores. Their bark in winter. The fascinating way they leaf out from the ground up.....

I am trying to germinate seeds now, with little success. Sorry to hear that they have problems! My husband thinks only of the messy leaf litter he recalls from his grandmother's house, but is gradually somign to see my way. He has tired of hearing me say "Look, a sycamore!" and has started spotting them himself!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it's terrible to lose big trees. I love sycamores. I love how they talk in the wind & I love their bark. beautiful. hubby on the other hand hates them for all their mess.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anthracnose often is confused with frost damage. The weather determines the severity of anthracnose. Frequent rains and cool temperatures promote the disease. So sorry for your loss.

Latest posts