Filler for large pots, idea...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was watching the DIY network last night, and they showed something really clever. When you have a huge pot that you want to use ( and you don't want to put all that potting soil in- and you don't want it to weigh 500 lbs), fill the bottom of the container with empty single serve water bottles! I have used packing peanuts for this purpose- and they work, but it can get messy if the roots get tangled in them. I thought this was inspired- can't wait to try it.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, that's pretty cool!

Also, if you have one of those fancy clay designer pots that's real large and decorative, they are often sized at the opening to set a standard nursery growing pot in.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa,
That is a great idea! I haven't thought of using plastic water bottles, I have heard of using packing peanuts though.
Thanks for telling us about that idea, I'll keep this in mind in case I'll be using a huge pot anytime.

Thanks Again! :thumbsup

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You all know that I container garden, we use fillers in the bottom..and not very many single serve bottles, here is what we use
Milk jugs
2 liter soda bottles
Cooking oil containers
Old flower pots
Butter containers
And just about anything else that we get that is made of plastic...of course we wash everything first...and if it has a lid we use that too.
We fill our containers about 1/3 of the way up then top off with loom and top soil.
Hope this helps for ideas

Don

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The local recycling place does not take certain kinds of plastic, and nothing that has had milk in it. I'm thinking this is a good way to use some of those verboten things!

Indyanna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have two large planters that are approximately 4 feet deep and there was no way I could afford to fill them with soil, so I used my son's old deflated basketballs and soccer balls. I was a little concerned at first that they might be coated in something that would harm my flowers, but so far no problem.

pepero

Sprout
Reaction score
i always wondered what the sticky gum balls could be used for when one day it was suggested to use them for a filler. since it seems that i have a million on the ground i have started using them. so far, so good. jon:)