Filling raised Beds

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We are building raised beds this year and were wondering how to fill them. We have an almost limitless supply of Llama manure. We had contemplated filling the bottem with a manure/straw/hay mixture and putting a soil mixture on top. What do you think of this? What type of a soil mixture do you think is best? Llama manure doesn't burn the plants how much manure is too much? Thanks

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think a max of 1/3 composted manure to 2/3 soil is considered about right. I don't know anything about Llama manure, so I won't comment about whether it needs composting first or not. I personally, would mix the manure in with the soil as you are filling the beds. Putting it all at the bottom would mean the plants would have to grow long enough roots to reach it, before they will benefit from the nutrients. If you don't want to mix, it would be better to put a thin topping of manure on top of the soil than to put it all at the bottom.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to agree with the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio. I would think too much manure would burn a plant, even if it had been sitting awhile. Manure by itself couldn't be good!?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure, you could consider it filler, however if it isn't pre-composted it will shrink as it ages, requiring more fill later.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, too much manure can be a bad thing. Doesn't drain well for one.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What's the Ph on that stuff? I'd be worried about that too.

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What type of soil should I get (ie. it's composition) and if there is anyone in Ashtubula/Lake/Geauga counties (Ohio) do you know where we can get soil at? Thanks

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LlamaBeans said:
What type of soil should I get (ie. it's composition) and if there is anyone in Ashtubula/Lake/Geauga counties (Ohio) do you know where we can get soil at? Thanks
Try looking under topsoil because I see many listings in your phone book!! Call around for the best price for the type you want. I will be buying sandy loam for my carrots' raised beds this year.
Also garden centers, lawn and garden and the Saybrook Feed Mill.

Latest posts