FINALLY! A Pawpaw tree!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand that the flowers stink, like rotting meat!! :hide
Yep. The flowers not getting properly pollinated is also a big issue in some areas so lots of people hang roadkill from the branches to attract more of the pollinating flies.

I'm on a farm, tons of smelly critters and flies. Hopefully, that helps the trees. Though, flies don't really show up until late. 🤔

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been searching for 4+ years, tried two separate orders of seeds, searched woods & FB, online was always sold out....

Then I saw them!
Could only afford one, though. Suckers are terribly overpriced!
View attachment 49883
Seeds from Peaceful Heritage of Kentucky is what is recommended by Director Kirk Pomper of KSU Asimina triloba land grant programs.
The seeds are of superior quality & are hybrids of superior select cultivars.
It also the cheapest place to bulk purchase quality Asimina triloba seeds.
Best time to purchase in November.
You need multiple genetically different cultivars for pollination!
They also sell scions for grafting.
I've been searching for 4+ years, tried two separate orders of seeds, searched woods & FB, online was always sold out....

Then I saw them!
Could only afford one, though. Suckers are terribly overpriced!
View attachment 49883

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess I didn't update the post.
Found 2yrs for 10 each. Wish I could return the 80 one...

20220710_173810.jpg

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Guess I didn't update the post.
Found 2yrs for 10 each. Wish I could return the 80 one...

View attachment 50501
Cultivars are going to be a lot more than seedlings. All Cloning techniques fail. Grafts have low take, with 40% to 60% death rates in the first 2 years after take & a 30% death rate on transplanting. You will most likely want to top work seedlings at 5 years of age with multiple cultivar scions. I can make suggestions.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cultivars are going to be a lot more than seedlings. All Cloning techniques fail. Grafts have low take, with 40% to 60% death rates in the first 2 years after take & a 30% death rate on transplanting. You will most likely want to top work seedlings at 5 years of age with multiple cultivar scions. I can make suggestions.
I don't know what you're saying or why it's a reply to my post.

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know what you're saying or why it's a reply to my post.
You neglected to mention the $80 tree varietal.
A $10 pawpaw trees will be a wild seedlings of limited fruit size & quality!
For $50 you can get a quality Ultra-Primium Select PawPaw seedling from the best of the best pawpaw nursery.
It would be a hybrid of 2 of the best of the best varieties of pawpaw.
If you buy such seedlings in bulk, you can get them for a low as $25 if getting directly from the propagation nursery as a bulk purchase.
If you get a grafted named varietal of quality, then you are talking $70 to $175 per 2year old tree, depending upon the variety.
For a 5 year tree often $750 per tree.
Grafting material can be purchased of any variety you wish once your tree is established.
If your $80 tree is a named variety, then in a few years you can graft branches from it to the $10 trees.
$80 is too much for a seedling, yet a very good price for a named grafted variety.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You neglected to mention the $80 tree varietal.
A $10 pawpaw trees will be a wild seedlings of limited fruit size & quality!
For $50 you can get a quality Ultra-Primium Select PawPaw seedling from the best of the best pawpaw nursery.
It would be a hybrid of 2 of the best of the best varieties of pawpaw.
If you buy such seedlings in bulk, you can get them for a low as $25 if getting directly from the propagation nursery as a bulk purchase.
If you get a grafted named varietal of quality, then you are talking $70 to $175 per 2year old tree, depending upon the variety.
For a 5 year tree often $750 per tree.
Grafting material can be purchased of any variety you wish once your tree is established.
If your $80 tree is a named variety, then in a few years you can graft branches from it to the $10 trees.
$80 is too much for a seedling, yet a very good price for a named grafted variety.

30% death at transplanting. At the factory or at buyer's place?

Two year old trees. From several different trees/locations. The guy has an extensive catalog of info that he keeps about where the seed was gathered, tree size, shade/sun conditions, soil conditions, fruit conditions/fleshy or seedy and so on. A long list, I can't remember all of it. He has many different ones he's grown on his property from these seeds as well, up to 14yrs old trees.
These aren't random seeds dumped in a bin and sold. They're seeds from carefully selected wild trees proven to grow well and fruit well in our area.

It's "asimina triloba" no variety given.

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
30% death at transplanting. At the factory or at buyer's place?

Two year old trees. From several different trees/locations. The guy has an extensive catalog of info that he keeps about where the seed was gathered, tree size, shade/sun conditions, soil conditions, fruit conditions/fleshy or seedy and so on. A long list, I can't remember all of it. He has many different ones he's grown on his property from these seeds as well, up to 14yrs old trees.
These aren't random seeds dumped in a bin and sold. They're seeds from carefully selected wild trees proven to grow well and fruit well in our area.

It's "asimina triloba" no variety given.
If they didn't specify varietal, nor specify "Select", or "Ultra-Select", or "Premium Ultra-Select", then it is wild.
"Select" is a cross between a variety & wild.
"Ultra-Select" is a hybrid of 2 quality varietals.
Premium "Ultra-Select" is a top quality faster growing healthier specimen of the Ultra-Select.
Inbred cultivar seeds & seedlings are very hard to find.
KSU had 0% success on Tallahatchie, 11% Success on Sunflower & 13% Success on Susquehanna.
I look forward to 7 years from now when inbred self pollinated Susquehanna cultivars get released.
Peaceful Heritage is a good source for grafting scions of quality varieties.
Recommend that you wait until after the trees have been in the ground a minimum of 2 years before grafting.
Expect a price of about $175 per 2 year old tree, with a very long waiting list.

Latest posts