Finally got my garden in.

ridgefire

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Running late this year. The weather has been so funky this year. But I did it.

8 tomato plants, 4 watermelon plants, 8 cucumber plants, my mystery plants, yes mystery we were walking through the nursery and they had these plants, no signs on them. I think they might be eggplant, wife thinks maybe squash or pumpkins. I cant wait to see what they turn out to be. And yes I know I could have asked or I could look them up on the internet but I think it will be fun just to wait and see.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your garden in! It's such a rewarding feeling, isn't it?!

Post pix of your mystery plants if you get a chance. Eggplant don't really look like pumpkin or squash (they grow more upright like pepper plants) so I'll be curious to know what they turn out to be. Let's hope they're some yummy Japanese eggplant! mmmmmmm

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats ridgefire! It's always great to get the garden season going!

Mystery plants are always a fun thing to grow. Just make sure you give it room to grow in case it gets bigger!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations! :)

And I, also, think the mystery plant will be fun! Let us know what it turns out to be! :pop :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats, also!!! Isn't it exciting? I can't leave my garden alone....walk the pathways obsessively, like some big, ol' buzzard, waiting to pounce on bugs or suckers! I know, I know, a watched pot never boils....but...can't.....resist.....the....URGE!

Have fun with your mystery, Ridgefire, go ahead and hog all the fun, that's right, make us wait along with you....we don't mind, do we, folks? Not at all, doesn't bother us, not one iota. Yep, we can wait. Waiting.....:| :pop :rant

mamaboyd

Sprout
Reaction score
Congrats on putting your garden in...I just planted seeds 2 weeks ago for veggies, they are now sprouting. it's nice to finally have something growing after all our weird weather we have been having. :rolleyes: I have planted some of my annuals, but now I'm trying to decide on what type of shrub to plant at the bottom of our driveway now that we have put in underground fencing for our dogs. I don't think much grows in sandy soil. :p

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mamaboyd said:
I don't think much grows in sandy soil. :p
Well, root vegetables do well in sandy soil, in general. And how about asparagus....that has the added advantage of being a permanent planting.

For shrubs and trees, I'd avoid the more shallow rooted ones, as sandy soil drains more quickly than heavier soils, so shallow rooted plants dry out too quickly.

Good luck! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Succulents and Cactus seem to like sandy soil.

The biggest issue with sandy soil is moisture and nutrient level (which I guess is everything when it comes to gardening). There are many plants that can thrive in different conditions. Also, improving the soil would go a long way.

Good luck

ridgefire

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would like a more sandy soil. I have clay. I have been adding sand and compost to it. We have only owned our property for a couple years, and you can already see a huge difference in soil quality.

Latest posts