finding or making good soil

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on here that related to sq. foot gardening and Mel's mix. Some people were having a problem finding vermiculite and peat.
This may not be an answer for everyone but it works great for me....We have a small/med. green house very near us and we know the owners. At the end of each season they take 100's of pots with and without plants in them and dump it all on a pile out back. Every year my DH takes the backhoe down and gets a scoop of that soil to add to my garden along with whatever else is going in. It is that great light fluffy potting soil type stuff with vermiculite already in it.
Just a suggestion for anyone with a greenhouse near by.

Jackie

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a commercial greenhouse near by and wonder if they do the same.
So do they call it their compost pile? Wonder what I would ask for when I approach the owner?
It seems like nobody does anything for FREE anymore. I hope I am as successful as you.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We scooped from the local FFA's thrown out potting soil. They can't reuse it, they say it may have fungi and bacteria in it from being used this year....I'll take it and use it in my cold frames. Just to test this theory, of course! :lol: I'll take that gamble...they use some mighty expensive potting soil. Stuff I couldn't afford in a million years. :)