Fireworks in the Sky, Tomorrow Morning

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Celestial ones and, of course, honoring Nifty and the New Format.

The Geminid meteor shower should be at its peak in the morning hours. In Gemini the Twins, of course, and radiating nearest Castor . . . A little after midnight should be the best time but the moon will be fairly bright so you might just as well wait until after it sets. For me, that will be at 4:47am. The sun won't begin to rise here until 7:30 and it will be plenty dark enuf to see a meteor (every minute!) between moonset and about 7am.

earthsky.org

Unfortunately, the WS says that skycover here will be 100% during those hours but if you are under a cold, clear sky - look up! Pretty much straight up yet, I'd guess . . . somewhat south, somewhat west. Jupiter must be up there in the same constellation and lovely in its own right :). Jupiter won't set until a couple hours after sunrise so Gemini must be fairly high above the western horizon.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup it's going to be another scratch for me seams every time they come around there are those pesky clouds in the way, but sunday morning theres a chance.

suburbia is moving closer and closer to us and the night sky is just not the same anymore...
personally i truly do miss living up at lake tahoe locking the hubs in and driving up to miller lake and just staring into the night sky, seams that you were just out of reach of touching the stars...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow all night, then rain all day for us...not a chance we'll get a peek. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really tried to find an image of where Castor & Pollux would be in the morning. EarthSky has them at 9pm. What good is that if we are out looking in the early morning!

Of course, it won't really be possible to see that the meteors are coming from the "Radiant" most of the time. You'll see them when they get far enough into the atmosphere to be bright falling stars!

Since I won't be seeing them, maybe I'll watch this again. Besides, posting this is good exercise with the new forum :). It is a video from Vimeo so give it lots and lots of time to load.

Steve

Latest posts