Fireworks

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is my chestnut tree all decked out for the fourth. Looks like an explosion of fireworks doesn't it? Luckily we don't have "smell-a-post". This tree is not the most fragrant on the block.
Chestnut fireworks.JPG

The flower scapes fall to the ground looking -- to five-year old Maverick -- like monkey tails. This has been our 'monkey tail' tree ever since.

Storms such as we had this morning often take a branch or two off this softwood tree when it is heavy with leaves, flowers, and/or spiny fruit. No problem. I suspect our storm wasn't as fierce as nearby areas received.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hush! Don't tell the boy that or I'll be looking for a new centerpiece tree. As to using the nuts, I believe we would need two trees for proper fertilization. We get a mountain of prickly husks that open to reveal small unformed nut-lings and maybe 5-10 full sized chestnuts in the bunch.

All those pricklys are how I keep the cats (and other small animals) out of places they don't belong. It seems no one wants to play with these special balls.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful tee Red, DH would love to plant one. We have one at the county park that produces nuts liberally, he has tried and failed several times to get on to grow from nut form.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such a pretty tree. I love the sweet smell of a blooming chestnut, but they wreak havoc on my sinuses. :(

Latest posts