first crocuses of the year *PICS ADDED [crocus, flooding]*

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our snow only melted out the day before yesterday (all the drifts and icy areas are still left but the main portion of the grass and pastures are bare).

My earlier-than-early small yellow crocuses were uncovered by the melt-off yesterday, and are blooming today, hooray! :D

All you Southerners who've got roses blooming and suchlike I don't want to hear a peep from you, this is MY official start of spring ;)

(And as far as I know, people STILL have not tapped the maples around here, although they may've gone out with buckets today)

edited to add pic of some of the crocuses:
Crocus007small.jpg

plus two pix of Tuesday's flooding:
verywet002.jpg

wettoosmall.jpg

Pat

Texas Star

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Congratulations, it was winter here and then all of a sudden, all these flowers came out of nowhere!

I told DH to get me to lowe's ASAP.

:mow

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
All you Southerners who've got roses blooming and suchlike I don't want to hear a peep from you, this is MY official start of spring ;)

(And as far as I know, people STILL have not tapped the maples around here, although they may've gone out with buckets today)

Pat
My lips are sealed. Congrats Pat! :rose

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rudely bumping my own post b/c I added photos of crocuses and the flooding we had, and forgot that just editing doesn't bump ;)

Pat

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ohhhh wow those are beautifull!! congradulations on spring.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:cool: I take it the crocus are in the front yard with the sunshine ;).

Would a pond off there on the right of the panoramic photo help?

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, the crocuses are along the front of the house, it's sandy soil and is a real suntrap. The earliest tulips should be blooming sometime next week!

No pond. Nope nope nope.A) too near the well. B) gets most of its water off the neighbor's fields, and being an aquatic ecologist in former life I *know* what happens when you mix standing water and high nutrient inputs. Also C) we already have quite as many mosquitos as we need, despite Bt, and would prefer not to farm up even more of 'em ;) Anyhow there is no way anything other than a pit straight through to China could hold all that water -- what the photos don't indicate is how much *current* there is through all that!

Almost everything you see flooded in those pictures is now just wet grass. And in some places, dry grass that ought to be mowed :p There's a fair bit of puddling, but, you know, not actual flooding. It is bizarre this year how quickly it's all going from winter to high tide to mid-spring. I was out cleaning standing-dead stuff off the perennial beds this afternoon and it was highly disorienting smelling oregano and seeing all the new growth starting when this time last week we were totally snow-covered. Hard to wrap my mind around such a fast change!

Pat

Latest posts