First Day of Autumn, tomorrow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The equinox here is tomorrow about dinner time. Direct, overhead sunlight will be below the equator for the next 6 months.

It has been a HOT 3 months of Summer in the Wild West. Not only did the last week of July have temperatures above 100°f (38°C) but so did the last week of August. We haven't seen an afternoon high below 70° (21C) since the Fourth of July. We still haven't had another but should after a little rain, tonight. I won't talk about rain - tragically little.

The drop in temperatures came about a customary time. In 2022, they just had farther to drop. That is, still no danger of frost because of the high afternoon temperatures. With 12 hours of darkness, a drop from a pleasant afternoon to freezing the next morning shouldn't surprise any of the residents here. It is just what comes with living at a somewhat high elevation with clear skies and low humidity. Fortunately, my garden isn't at any higher elevation where it would be even more likely. The decision that will be avoided this year will be whether to run sprinklers on that morning to mitigate freezing temperatures. Warmer Summer daytimes meant warmer Summer nights and warm season garden plants matured their crops :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, it's that time of the year again. counting the daylight hours, enjoying cooler temperatures and trying to get as much done as possible before the (four letter word) flies.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NSFW ..?

Oh, you mean SNOW. Yeah, that's not safe for work, as well!

Dang, I used to hate driving to work in the snow. NOW, I hate it when we have important appointments on snowy, icy days.

Steve, oriented towards retirement & sunlight

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, first day of Autumn, 92 degrees, FEELS like 96.
Tomorrow...high of 67. Clouds to the west trying to tease us that we will get a little bit of rain around 5PM.
Guess the tomatoe and peppers are happy today.

we are going from today's high of 83F and humid to 60F for the high tomorrow, but sunshine and breezy, tonight's temperature around 50F. breeze will be very welcome to dry everything out so i can get it picked.

Latest posts