First egg!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome!! :weee Your first egg!!!! :weee

My first egg cost me $360.00 (coop building costs) after that, the rest of them were free!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a first egg today, too! My little chicks have grown up, and are still in the grow out coop... guess it is time to get my act together and get them situated in the big girl coop. Congrats on your egg!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Awesome!! :weee Your first egg!!!! :weee

My first egg cost me $360.00 (coop building costs) after that, the rest of them were free!!
I quit keeping track after my first egg cost went over $1,000. My DH who built the coop didn't want to use "found items" or to make do. I guess he wanted it to not be an eyesore in the yard. I must admit, it is nice and secure, and the only eyesores are what I have done to the yard since!

That first egg is really special, tho. I still am amazed at the whole process, and am careful to thank my chickens for every egg.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Stony,

That's a dandy lookin egg. My first eggs are much smaller than yours. Mine new hens seem to take a month or better before they get to that size. Or...my hand is a lot bigger.:lol:

Tony

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertlady said:
:weee I am waiting for my baby chickies to lay their first eggs. They are six months old now.
Shouldn't be long, now. Any signs of them getting ready? Reddening of combs, new interest in the nest boxes?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two teenaged pullets. Hatched together and with the same papa but sized like Mutt and Jeff. The larger had a bright red comb while the smaller bird has very little comb at all yet and barely more than pinkish. Five month is earlier than any chicken I've had laying, but there was an egg on the floor of the coop. Haven't had that happen with my older girls for nearly a year. Hum-m-m-m.

Good news! (To me) I sold the last two of my 'extra' roosters. Friday will be their last day pestering my girls.