First post over here, thought the garden folk would like this.

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am getting ready to till my garden once I finish restoring my father's roto-tiller I now own. This is a 27 year old Troy-Bilt Horse which it pretty much the best of the best. This was back when they were made by Garden-Way before MTD bought them up. A nice local company from Troy, NY who really put heart and soul into these things. You can really tell by working on it.

This tiller will be used still, but it was fully torn down top to bottom, sandblasted and repainted. I not only have all the paperwork from sales slip ($1299 in 1981) to a new old stock set of decals to put on it when I am done. The motor is the only thing I send out to have refreshed before I painted it. This is the biggest one they made and tops in at 275lbs! It has four speeds forward and even reverse. The forward gears are from two belt settings and a Hi/Low gear range. Tme motor is an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton Industrial/Commercial engine. I did update the motor a little bit when it was rebuilt and now has an electronic coil instead of points. (Yes, points! Why, the owners manual calls for leaded gas even.)

I will add a few photos when I have it all finished, but I need to buy some new hardware for a few parts. :D

Before, and 27 years of hard work.
TB-1.jpg

All ready to be painted.
TB-22.jpg

And where I am at today.
TB-35.jpg

I will add more this week as I finish it. The decals will wait a few weeks so the paint can really harden, but the rest will be finished. I am quite happy with how it is looking.

I figured I will be spending some time here this year as I put my first real effort into my own garden. I grew up with them, but it's been years... ;)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just put a new brass gear in one just like it. $125!!! The old thing will still chew its way through a concrete side walk if you wanted it to though. They are good old tillers.

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Alrighty now... I finished putting the tiller back togather tonight, well I do have to buy a new fuel line and filter, but that is the last thing.

Here she is all finished save the new decals.

TB-46.jpg

TB-47.jpg

These are the tiller decals, I have to buy the ones for the motor still, but these have not been for sale for many years.

TB-5.jpg

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice job!!! Now, make sure you take some garden before and after pix to show what a great job it does in the garden. Can't wait!

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Did it look that good new? Holy Cow!

I was thinking that it is cool to use antiques, then I realized that I am much much older.

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. Take a photo of my pitiful garden before? Hmmm, I could just take one of my lawn and say it was a before! No, I will be nice! We made a go at it before with a rented Home Depot tiller that dang near killed me trying to start the garden. It's pittiful, very pittful in deed! maybe 10'x25 or so and looks like a WWII battlefield!

I will grab some for you though.

As for the tiller, I don't quite think it looked this good new, but is is very close to original. The air cleaner derby should be chrome, and the push bar should be powder coated and not painted. I have the means to powder-coat the pushbar, but not the exact red nor the means to bake it as my oven is too small. The tiller decals will be correct, but I have to use 1960's style Briggs & Stratton decals for the motor as they are the newest ones I can find.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, are you sure you are gonna wanna get that thing dirty? Looks great. I love it when old is renewed, although I wouldn't consider anything from the 1980's old actually unless you add at least another 20 years to its age. :clap GOOD JOB

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's a beaut!! My dad is 82 and used one like it fo over 25 years in his garden. He's not a great "tinkerer" so he just replaced it - twice in 5 years. You're right - they don't make them like they used to.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice job-it looks too good to get dirty. lol
I hate tilling-and am using no till gardening.