First Sign of Donors Being Tapped Out ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the major TV stations is currently nearing the end by March 31 of their annual food drive for the needy. Last year they met their goal of 600,000 pounds of food. This year's goal was to be 800,000 pounds of food . For the last few days they have been begging for MORE donations as they currently have less than 200,000 pounds. Every do good group and animal rescue group and polititians and this cause and that cause as well as every TV station asking every day for donations for any and every event or personal loss of one and all for the last few years on a daily basis. It seems that every 2-3 local stories is another plea for a donation or a telethon for a donation. Are the rest of us no longer hearing the pleas or are we taped out of funds to donate ? :hu

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, too many scams so we have become jaded. Or at least I have. Want to know WHO is getting my money.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many of the 'rest of us' are trying to meet our own needs or helping family members with needs. Despite what the media is trying to make us believe, the economy is not getting better and this "new normal" has lowered the standard of living for most of the range called middle class.

I get at least two requests for donations with each mail pick-up as well as several phone calls through the month and could easily pauper myself giving a small bit to each good cause. For that reason, I restrict our giving to 6-7 local organizations that I know use the funds properly. I also give the donations anonymously to keep from getting repeated requests throughout the year on the theory that I'm a soft touch.

For tax purposes, I give one lump donation in early January and late December of every odd year. Every one else gets the standard, "I give elsewhere." and all mailings get recycled. I find that hard to do, but feel it is a needed way to solve the problem of over extending ourselves.