First the hornworms. Now these! Ugh!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am just about ready to give up on my tomatoes, throw my hands up in the air and say "Fine! You win!"

First I had hornworms. I patroled my plants diligently, removing the dozens of beasts I found. I planted some marigolds near the plants and all seemed well. The hornworms have not been much of a problem since. They're back now, in much fewer numbers and I've noticed a few have been attacked by wasps, so I left those alone.

Now, I've got some other sort of worm eating my leaves. HUNDREDS of them, but they're tiny (now) so the damage they're inflicting isn't unsalvagable yet.

Any idea what they are? Brownish catapillars with lighter stripes running the length of the body.

Will a soapy solution sprayed on the leaves work on them? I'd prefer not to use Sevin if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, the soapy stuff will work on *most* soft-bodied little beasties. And as for using an insecticide - sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Not real happy to use it either but if it means the difference between ME eating it or a WORM eating it.....well, you get the picture. Oh, and good luck! I almost lost mine to the little critters too!

ETA: Does it look like this? This is a tomato fruit worm:

42tomato-fruit-larva-large.jpg

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think mine are a bit darker than that, but it could just be because they're still young.

I will try the soap this weekend.

*** fingers crossed ***

Latest posts