FIRST TIME MAKING COMPOST...

Jonrek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

i dont know how to make compost. i dont have any idea what to put in my compost that it dont make my plants and veggies becomes bad..
Its my first time in gardening and i want to try things to my big garden.. Please help..
i need more ardenings advice and tips.

thanks

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you joined.

That’s a huge topic and so many different ways to go about it. Composting is basically just letting things rot until it becomes compost. There are tricks to get that process to go faster, but you can make it as simple or as complex as you want to.

What to not put into compost. It’s recommended to not put in dog or cat poop. Something about potential pathogens. Don’t put in diseased plants especially from your garden. Be careful about putting in noxious weeds that have gone to seed. Proper composting kills the seeds but most of us don’t do that thorough a job. I sure don’t. Also be careful putting in garden plants infested with pests. Some of those can survive in the compost and reinfest your garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Things that are good in compost:
Leaves
Straw
Animal manure ; cow, horse, goat, sheep, chicken, llama, etc.
Vegetable and fruit scraps, eggshells,
Layer these things, make the pile moist, and top with a thin layer of soil.

Do not use: dog and cat manure,or meat scraps.

Turn occasionally and keep moist and just give it time. It'll break down eventually.

Have fun with gardening Jonrek, we're glad you've joined us!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
....and no cat litter either. That stuff can turn your compost into a really thick, clay-like material that sucks all of the water up before it reaches the plants. Not only that, but it's probably made out of stuff that wasn't meant to be in the soil. Some cat litters even say "do not compost" on the side of the container.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We just throw weeds, leaves, hay, straw, sheep/goat poop, chicken poop/and pine shavings from the coops. We just put it in a pile and turn it every 4-6 months. It decomposes really fast and becomes the most beautiful rich black compost, everything we put in it grows wonderfully.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Jonrek :).

I will just tell you a little about what I do with things I could compost and then give you some links. I could compost weeds that have gone to seed, I guess. I do not. Those seed-spreading weeds go in my garbage can.

Perennial plants often spread by way of their roots. Something like quack grass doesn't go in my compost - right away. I leave it on the soil surface to die. Once I'm sure the roots/rhizomes are good and dead, then they can go in my compost.

Here is a link to a 43 page booklet on composting by the University of Idaho. Maybe you'd like to spend some time becoming very knowledgeable about the subject: (LINK)

Here is kind of a synopsis of the thinking that would go into a 43 page booklet, from the University of Illinois: (LINK)

Here is something that says composting is easy, and it isn't all that difficult. These people sell a small book on composting. I haven't bought the book but appreciate the information is on this webpage: (LINK)

I hope that helps.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Compost is the "gateway drug" to bigger gardens, chickens and ducks. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here, be sure to ask plenty of questions and pick our brains......wanders off muttering.....sure someone here still has brains.......sure not me......but who?

Latest posts