First time planting potatos...need advice please

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought seed potatos at my farm center several weeks ago with the intentions of cutting out the eyes and planting them. Well, as time passed, and the garden area is now in, I am now able to plant but the potatoes have started to sprout. 4 to 5 inches of sprout.

Can I still plant them? And how should I do that? Thank you for your advice, this is my first time with potatoes.
Anne

I wasn't sure which topic to post this on. Sorry for dupllication.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh yeah, stick them suckers in the ground sprout side up, cover with soil and wait for potatoes. Cut the potato up and make sure you have eyes in every hill.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Laura, I appreciate your responses. I can't wait......I don't buy tomatoes any more after growing my own for several years, and I understand the same is true for growing your own potatos. I have red creamer potatos to plan and blue potatoes.
Anne

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Best of luck! Next year it would be probably best to put them in earlier rather than later. If the seed potatoes fit in an egg carton, I don't bother cutting up. I put them out in April, and this year, we got 8 inches of snow on top of the potatoes after I had planted them!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
yes, silkiechicken, the feed store told me I was a bit late as well. Next year, earlier for sure, this year....well they went in today...we will see what happens. Thank you.
Anne