Fizzing Pickles?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
When DH opened a jar of dill pickles he made there was a nice sound of a seal being broken. But more like opening a soda can. Whoosh. Then they FIZZED and bubbled up from the bottom of the jar! Is that normal? He says the smell and taste like dill pickles. Only a little softer than he remembers his Grandmas and the skins are a bit tough. I have not had the nerve to try any yet. Good thing he only did 2 jars! He did have to use slicing cucumbers cut into spears as we did not have pickling cucs.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Were they processed with vinegar, or fermented? That sounds like there was some fermentation going on, but I don't see how that could happen if processed in a water bath. Your husband is a very brave man.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
He used his Grandmothers recipe. No water bath! I am NOT eating them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, sounds like they are fermenting in the jar. old fashioned pickles done and kept in a crock aren't usually kept long unless put into cold storage or processed in a water bath.

i always remember as a kid getting pickles from a local store that kept them in a big barrel by their deli. it was a weekly tradition to get one. i always like their half sours and my sister loved their kosher dills, and mom a good ole sour pickle!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, fermentation. Those are the best kind of pickles, IMO! :) That's how my kombucha fizzes too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe so. You might ask Hoodat particularly. I remember reading that he makes fermented pickles. Rotteness would be smelled and tasted if they were bad, and mold would grow on top. A ferment will build up carbonation from the natural yeasts, which explains the pop and fizz if they were tightly sealed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Journey. Yep, the seal was good. They smell o.k. he said they taste fine. No mold. etc... I am not very brave. :hide I figure to be safe I would ask. You are all so helpful :)

Latest posts