Floating row covers on tomatoes?

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using floating row covers on tomatoes? I started tomatoes on Jan 4 and plan to put them in the ground mid march. I'm just experimenting this year to see if I can get early yields with decent tomatoes. Most nights around here in mid march are in the 40's to 50's but there is a chance it could dip into the 30's. How heavy of a row cover would you recommend? I was thinking 1 oz? (1oz square foot) I'm going to support the row cover so it will not be sitting on the plants or even touching them. Another reason I am interested in using the row cover is to keep out insects that will damage the fruit. I'm wondering if it will eliminate some of the stink bug damage.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
when you mention floating row covers are you talking about using plastic or the agri-fabric kind? i've used the wall of water things for tomatoes in the past and those seemed to have worked well to get a jump on tomatoes and peppers for me. i've also read about keeping some clay tiles or bricks near heat needing/loving plants to help keep them warm at night. you could also try that if you are fearful of the possible temp drops within the row covers.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would also worry about the soil temp. If it's much below 50F the tomatoes are going to suffer from lack of phosphorus. You may want to put some plastic around the base of the the plants to help in that area.

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm talking about the agri-fabric type. I have researched the wall-o waters for the them and the do not seem very reasonable price wise. I plan to grow them on black plastic so I am hoping the soil temperature does not become an issue if I lay it a week or so in advance of planting.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
wall o waters have gotten very expensive now that they've become popular and it's that time of the season. i bought mine about 15 years ago when they were marked down at a local store's garden center. i think i paid about $3 for a set of 3 in a package.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wall o waters are ok for 3, maybe 6 plants, but more than that they are too expensive.

Tomatoes can and do snap out of a chill spell, long as not frosted, but it does slow them down.

Latest posts