Floating Row Covers

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have seen this mentioned in several posts as well as the pics. I am wondering if this has to be a special fabric? I have some clear plastic - could I use this over some mini-wire supports? Or possibly pic up some organza or light woven fabric to make my row covers?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In some of the seed catalogs I get, there are three or four different types of white materials used. I l-o-v-e free seed catalogs. :love

I would like to hear from others how well this works for them and get some ideas. I cut up an old bed ruffle thingy and used the gauze like material as a cover for the low nighttime temperatures. I live in a prime agricultural area, and we are prone to sudden freezes. :hit

I can also see the crops from back roads in the valley, however it is the crops by the freeway where they are using the covers for the produce. The hoops and covers are so big that they look like quonset huts. :bee

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used 6mil clear plastic to keep some lettuce going throughout the winter. I can't believe how well it held up too--I'm sure I'll get another year out of it. I used 1/2" pvc to form the hoops and anchored it over the row by pushing it down on to 18" rebar stakes on either side. The pvc is good because it won't puncture the plastic.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Loved the Mother Earth article- wedding netting is a great idea! I would like to find out when those pesky moths lay their eggs- so I could cover squash, etc. and then uncover after the breeding cycle is over. Time to do some research. Glad this got brought up- I was just thinking I wanted to try this! 24 days till spring!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi BDR
I think you will find the fleece row cover material is cheaper than most other materials you can buy. It also comes in severa; widths.

This is a copy of the answer I gave to Ladyhawke in her thread recently:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27792

Quote:

In the UK a lot of gardeners use use row covers over their vegatables. They help us, early in the season, to keep the plants warm in our unpredictable climate (especially at night) & also keep off the marauding bugs. I find them very useful.

Here is a link which shows the fleece/floating row cover material being used over supports. You can also use it just loosely draped over the plants but obviously it is not so effective in keeping out the bugs...!

http://www.saundersallotment.co.uk/Diary 2003.html
****scroll down to April for photos

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am +of+fleece
**** the first 2 pages have some photos of the use of row covers.

PS. I am sure there are more photos in the allotment Thread I am presently posting here on TEG:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/view p?id=27452

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Well I have had a lot of experience of tulle (as a designer of classical ballets) & it just will not stand up to the strain that my fleece row covers go through, neither is it wide enough. Tulle also is nor very kind to delicate petals etc. I also think some small bugs would get through the holes. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the main reason I am wanting row covers is to protect my young plants when I first set them out. Last year we had a late freeze and I lost most everything so I was hoping to prevent that this year. It won't be something I use long term.....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Loved the Mother Earth article- wedding netting is a great idea! I would like to find out when those pesky moths lay their eggs- so I could cover squash, etc. and then uncover after the breeding cycle is over. Time to do some research. Glad this got brought up- I was just thinking I wanted to try this! 24 days till spring!
Fabulous point.... but which type of moth is your problem?!

Cabbage moths are murder here! :he

Latest posts