Flowering Shrub ID Please

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I'm apparently horrid at guessing plants without their foliage. :lol: What I thought was a Fercynthia (sp?) bush, actually is something completely different...
It's got pink flowers. Sorry for the crumby picture. Does anyone know what it is?

2595581657_1c9897b9ba.jpg

ETA -- the old homeowner has christmas lights strung through it, if you're wondering. lol

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wegeilia? Could you get a close-up of the leaves and/or flowers?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm pretty confident (like 95%+) thats what it is. there are different varieties. my mothers has only had a few blooms on it ever. of course it is in almost full shade and they like full sun.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh this monster is right out front the house in full sun, it's got to be at least 4ft+ tall. It's blocking the porch. :lol:

Anyone know if limb clippings will root?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it looks just like my moms plant, that i ordered from one of the catalogs years ago. i ordered a "weeping weigela" but not sure if yours is the same variety. but they have identical leaves and flowers. they are supposed to be easy to root, i tried two cuttings last year but neither rooted. i kind of neglected them though.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That definitely is weigela.

They grow pretty well in any soil and doesn't require much care except for the good spring pruning. Prune about one third of the oldest wood each spring to encourage flowering. Pruning the tips throughout the growing season should encourage flowering as well. It does like a very deep watering since it's roots run very deep.

Over all this is a very easy to grow shrub and adapts to almost about any situation. Even waterlogged, clay soils under a bunch of pines. ;)

Cuttings root very easily in a moist soil-less mixture. Cut them with a very sharp knife then soak them in water overnight. Move them to the soil-less mixture and they should do just fine.

Good luck!

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Oakland. I asked about the clippings because I posted a "TEG Plant Exchange" Thread.

I guess I have Pink Weigelia to offer :D LOL

Latest posts