flowers for winter?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll start this one off, DL.

I'd guess that Canterbury bells and Sweet Williams could be sown at this time in your part of the world. That may mean that most any campanula and dianthus species would work.

The survival of the pinks and whites of Larkspur is a little touch-&-go during the winter in my garden. I'm likely to get just about all purple & blue. Still, the fall-sown plants bloom earlier that those from spring. You may want to try some of the others from the delphinium family.

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you ! I want to learn how to grow winter flowers rather than buying them from the nursery ! The only plants thats looks pretty through winter are my cabbages, carrots, and peas! ( sometimes tomatoes if theres no freeze! I wanted something colorful! :rainbow-sun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, DL!

I don't know what would bloom in winter . . !

I am really out of my depth on that. I live where it is sub-zero at least 39 winters out of 40. Maybe violets. Primroses.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted heather shrubs... profuse and brilliant dark pink toward purple blooms that last for many weeks.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What kinds of flowers can you buy at a nursery in your area in winter? Maybe you can just grow those yourself. I'm very jealous because in my zone, NOTHING flowers in the winter. :(

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
went to my nursery they say Mums will keep all winter , I will have to cover them at night to keep frost off. But I didnt covered them it came back nicely. theres another plant that survived from last year (I didnt cover it) trying to remember what they were called, I am guessing saliva . It grew nicely . Last marigolds, but really didnt do great winter time.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Curly Kate, I'm right above Lexington, KY and I planted some of the little primrose last fall, by golly, there was a bit of snow on the ground and what was blooming but that primrose (I thought they were houseplants only for us LOL) and I love the helleborus, the winter rose. It blooms too but nothing as bright and beautiful as those primrose.

Latest posts