Flowers to plant in veggie garden

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What are the best flowers to plant in a veggie garden? I wanting to use them to keep out rabbits, moles, squirels, and bring in bees. Any suggestions? :bee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marigolds, for sure! But really, I plant just about anything that suits me if I have a little extra space to tuck something in. I love cosmos in the garden, but you have to be careful where you put them because they get so tall. Zinnas are nice too (you'll want annuals probably). Also, not a flower, but basil and dill do an awesome job of attracting pollinators and I've heard that dill is also a good decoy plant for certain bugs, parsley too.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't know about keepin out critters, but borage is supposed to be a great bee attractant. Gonna plant it, with a lot of other flowers, in the garden, this year.
Tried putting up a sign saying "Bees needed" in the garden last year but discovered that bees can't read.......who knew?:lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not believe there is any plant that will do much good at keeping out rabbits/squirrels/moles.

However, in terms of attracting bees, sowing white clover in your lawn around the garden will help considerably, also providing nectar plants like borage and runner-beans and perennial purple sage and things like that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dutch white clover is a great "bee food". Also think of flowers with edible leaves and blossoms. Violet...nasturtium...stuff like that. Makes it easy to gather all your salad ingredients at one time :D

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My understanding is "anything fragrant" like herbs & flowers. The bees may not be able to read :gig , but they sure can smell. Keep in mind too about any plants that have nectar like clovers, hairy vetch, nastursiums, etc.
Psst....as a kid I would pick the flowers and suck out the sweet nectar that could only be provided by the bees.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just finished planting some borage seeds in a 12 pack tray.....or at least I hope it was borage seeds. It was marked borage but sure looked more like rat droppings to me.:D

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted marigolds,flax,and chives. I did not have major losses last year even though a few rabbits got in the yard.I have read that planting an area far away from the garden for the critters can help keep them from your produce. I always throw extra seeds all over the far back yard.That and the hawk seems to help!