Flu and dogs

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
as I lay here fighting flu, why don't dogs get it? Food poisoning they get (had a spaniel eat some bad fish I threw away in trash-she left trash alone after that) but while flu will go through household, dogs seem immune to it.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs and humans only have a few diseases that cross over. Lepto and Rabies being the only two off the top of my head.

They do have their own version of a doggie cold -- Kennel Cough.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For you who have had the flu this season; how long is it lasting? My son and his two little girls all got the flu within a two day span. He took one to ER with a very high fever, and they confirmed Influenza A. Tamiflu was prescribed, but since it would cost $600 for the three of them, the pharmacist said he couldn't in good conscience fill the script. He just recommended meds to treat the symptoms. By the 5th day all were feeling fine, so I would say it only lasts about 4 days for them. I guess I just thought it usually lasts longer. Heck, a bad cold can last two weeks. Of course, I know the flu can be much more serious.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My doozy of a flu and / or really bad cold lasted over 3 weeks.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There does seem to be some kind of bad bronchial infection going around, that last forever, and makes you sound like a fog horn. Was that you we heard honking away, bobm?
(Hope you are feeling much better now)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There does seem to be some kind of bad bronchial infection going around, that last forever, and makes you sound like a fog horn. Was that you we heard honking away, bobm?
(Hope you are feeling much better now)
Not, bobm. It was probably me you heard. About 4 weeks of (painful) coughing, sore throat, etc. Thanksgiving past Christmas. Fever for a much shorter time.