Foliar Feeding

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I mostly use a double or triple dose of Superthrive in sprayer tank when foliar feeding, and do once weekly to heavy feeders. Sometimes I add weak fert.
Does anyone else foliar feed, and what do you use to do it? I do notice quite a difference when I do it routinely. :rainbow-sun

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to use kelp and fish emulsion, but infrequently ( ok I really mean haphazardly , as things have a way of getting away from me ), also a good compost tea every so often, but not as a foliar feed.

eta- We can no longer buy Super thrive in ID, gotta sneak it across the border from WA...;)

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Really? Wow Thistle, why? That stuff is almost magical. Oh, I just made some compost, that's a good idea using the tea. Going to add it next time, I just fed them this morning. ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well apparently (keep in mind this info is second hand, but from one of my trusted sources ;) ) it seems that ID ag wanted ST to list their ingredients and they refuse to comply so they've been banned.

I used to use it in every planting, because whatever else the hyperbole on the label states, it's definitely been found to enhance rooting.

edited because I can no longer spell...

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well I don't really blame them for not wanting to list the ingredients, it's like an age old secret recipe, after all. Are you so close to state border you can just drive when needed? I've also been meaning to ask you and Steve (looks like you live close to one another) if either of you have ever been on the north-west outskirts of Northport, WA. My hubby and I were looking at some land there (via internet) and although heard some unsurly things about the residents of in-town, sure did love the open land, closeness to Canadian border, and just all around 'peacefulness' it seems to convey. SOrt of an alpine like region?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve can answer that one for you, he knows everything about this region! And yeah, up here in the panhandle it's a shortish drive to WA and MT and Canada too of course. Collector also calls this area home, he's a bit to the south.

Did you maybe mean Newport?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use Miracle Gro :hide . . .

but not in the vegetable garden :rainbow-sun.

With the veggies, fish emulsion seems to work well with the tomatoes especially but requires repeat applications. I also use it with plant starts.

Northport is on Columbia in Washington. Yes, it is just down river from Trail, BC. I don't think you could get much further from the Florida environment without leaving the contiguous states, Nichole.

"Unsurely" or "surely?" Because that area has so few people the broad spectrum of individuals that live most anywhere stands out against the landscape a little ;).

Some states are quite restrictive about agricultural products and compliance with regulations.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I foliar feed my garden but I use those nasty commercial liquid fertilizers.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use fish emulsion sometimes...when I think about it. Part of the reason why I'm "organic" is just because I'm too damn lazy! :D We always cover our beds with some nice composted cow manure at the beginning of the season, and I honestly don't do too much after that.

ETA: I just realized that TEG changed my mild cuss word to a much nicer "darn." That's awesome! :lol:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about follier feeding. But I do know about the Northport area. In highschool some friends and I hunted up there every fall, the hunting is great up there. The last 5/6 years I have a week or two each summer working on updates to highway 25. Northport is a typical small town out west anyways. Lotta good folks a lotta wild folks and some unsavory characters. The economy is tourism, logging, hunting, fishing, and some ranching/ farming, also the border crossing brings traffic thru the town mostly trucks though. It is a really nice area from Kettle Falls on up to the border. Hope this helps.

Latest posts