Food for Butterfly Bush

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would like to know what is the best food for my B.B
All of sudden the leaves are starting to yellow and the flowers have no fragrance.
Not sure what to use: 10-10-10 or an Acid food that I use for my Azaleas.
TIA

Gardenshadow

Sprout
Reaction score
Chiefs Mess - Have two butterfly bushes here in SE Michigan and all we put on ours is a shovel full of compost in the Spring before the leaves even appear. I'll never get over my wife's anger one early Summer when I gave up on a BB and dug it up for dead. She kept telling me to wait on diggint it up. I found out that here, they are slow to leaf out in the Spring and you have to be patient for the new growth to appear. I also found out that "somethimes" my wife is right. Oh, we also put a half cup of Epson salts around the BB's sith the compost. Happy gardening! Harv

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Would it be too late to use the epsom salts now? They will be in bloom till late Sept or even Oct if the weather stays warm.
Thank you for your help

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in central Indiana (zone5) the BB dies back to the ground. Mine have just now put on flowers-although they have not opened yet.

Gardenshadow

Sprout
Reaction score
ChiefsMess - It would not hurt to apply Epson salts at this time for it si only to help plants bloom. Epson salts is magnesium, potasium and prompts some plants to flower. I would waater it in well and see what happens. Harv

Latest posts