? for the canning experts...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to use my pressure canner to can homemade beef broth... Neither my Blue Ball Book or the pressure canner book mentions it. Any reason I can't?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't see any reason not to try and can it. have you checked on Ball's website to see if anyone has any recommendations on how to do it?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You sure can! Let me go look for a recipe. Can't believe the BBB didn't have one?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sure. Just use the same timing you would use for beef. 10 pounds - 90 minutes at sea level.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a recipe for beef stock from my '08 BBB:

Yields about 4 pints or 2 quarts.

4 pounds meaty beef bones
2 quarts water
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
Beef bullion cubes or granules (optional)

Bring beef bones and water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepot. Reduce heat; skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and salt to taste. Cover; simmer 2 to 3 hours. If more flavor is desired, simmer longer or add beef bullion cubes or granules to stock. Remove beef bones. Strain liquid; skim excess fat from top of stock. Ladle hot stock into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I knew it must be simple! My book talks about chicken broth and canning meat, but no beef broth...I will use that recipe Journey! Really looking forward to having this on hand!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The acid content might be too low for them to think the average person could do it safely. Of course, if you add a little raw apple cider vinegar to the broth, it will add the acid AND it will also help leech more minerals out of the bones boosting the nutrition level.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Here's a recipe for beef stock from my '08 BBB:

Yields about 4 pints or 2 quarts.

4 pounds meaty beef bones
2 quarts water
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
Beef bullion cubes or granules (optional)

Bring beef bones and water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepot. Reduce heat; skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and salt to taste. Cover; simmer 2 to 3 hours. If more flavor is desired, simmer longer or add beef bullion cubes or granules to stock. Remove beef bones. Strain liquid; skim excess fat from top of stock. Ladle hot stock into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.
That recipe sounds great but I think the processing time is too short. I'd give it 90 minutes for quarts, the same as you would for beef.

Latest posts