For The Cheese lover

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an OK board, but as a confirmed cheese aficionado, I see a LOT of issues with it.

Of its type (firm, mountains style sheep) Manchego is probably one of the DULLEST cheeses, particularly young.

As far as I'd re do it it would be something like this

Chevre- I think they have the right idea but I just am not really a fan of the American style of fresh chevre (I tend to find it over-sour and bitter). But since there is no way to legally get a raw milk french chevre that young in this country, I'd say the best one could do would be a good Canadian one (The fresh one from Fromagerie de Tournevot would be ideal) or failing that, one of the better americans, like Consider Barwell Farm's Metowee

Mt. Tam- Not bad, but tends to be a bit under-ripe and innocuous. You could go with the French classic of Brilliat Savarin if you want to stick with a triple creme, or if you can get your hands on it, the Rouzaire version of Gratte-Paille (double creme)

Manchego- I you want to stick Spanish, go for Manchego's cousin Zamorano or Idizabaal (if you like smoked cheese) Ortherwise, you can go with any nutty sheep; Italian Pecorino Toscano, Umbriaco or Marchego (NOT Romano, you want a nutty sheep, not a sharp one) French Basque Ardi-Gasna, even Greek Kefalotyri, if you can find a good one (suprisingly, the mass market Olympus version is excellent in taste (though not for me, it hurts my stomach)

Gouda- aged Gouda is a good idea, but, if you are going to do one, go whole end and get a REALLY aged one like OVER 5 years (I've heard of select wheels being aged for 12 years, or even 20!) till it's brown and actually shatters under the knife. And make sure it's a good Boerkass (farmers Gouda). non Dutch farmstead equivalents (like Ireland's Coolea) would probably work too.

Blue- Roaring Forties, no question. Technically for my OWN plate, this would be where I put my beloved raw goat milk blue, like Cayuga blue or Persilee du Chevre. But those are acquired tastes, for the SERIOUS turofile.

The meats and fruits I won't comment on. There's a really good soppresatta from California that might work well in the Chorizo's place.

The honey on mine would probably be a deep tree honey, like oak or macadamia, since I don't like truffles. Corbolezza honey (a strong, almost bitter honey made in Sardinia from the nectar of strawberry trees) might be interesting as well, if you could get it (it's very hard to find).

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I very much like fresh cheeses, they're eaten differently, you can taste the fresh clean milk. Or some Ball unsalted fresh cheese I sometimes sprinkle course black pepper. There have been times when we'd have to leave and the fresh made cheese couldn't be set in brine, it would be frozen and when brought out would be fresh and not enough zing for some people.

I will, I think, began to inoculate some cheeses, as I once did. I used to wrap the inoculated cheese and hang it from the cellar ceiling so no creature could get at it. Some of these would become hard and somewhat transparent almost like, I was going to say skin but that wouldn't sound good. I like most cheeses.
-------------------------------
Velveeta isn't cheese, instant coffee isn't Coffee.

Last edited:

Latest posts