For The Horse Lovers

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can horses be potty trained to go in one spot ? Or do they releave themselves anywhere ?

I'm sure they could be trained if you wanted to take the time.

Some horses are naturally much tidier than others.
Years ago a trainer friend who raised Arabs had a stallion that was the neatest horse I've ever known. He never soiled his stall and in his turnout he deposited his manure in the same exact spot. It was actually stacked. I'm not often amazed by poo, but that was really something, haha.

I read somewhere once about an island where they kept horses in stalls. Bedding material was difficult or impossible to obtain so they trained the horses to pee and poo into a bucket held by a groom.

My neighbor has two mares, one is super clean, has two potty spots, and the other is like a teenager, makes a mess everywhere and doesn't care.
My Luke is in the slob category unfortunately, he goes wherever it strikes him.

I couldn't watch the video, my computer won't load You Tubes for some reason, but I looked those guys up. Very interesting. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can horses be potty trained to go in one spot ? Or do they releave themselves anywhere ?
Some horses will go in one spot -others not. My horse seems to spread things evenly around the pasture.I cannot imagine he thinks about it but it sure does look rather planned. As far as training -I doubt it. When you are that big...when you gotta go...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I let my horse in the house. I'd put her in the garage, open the door to the kitchen and go fix my breakfast. She ate hers from the feed barrel-and never overate. When done eating, she would come in the house and hang her head over my shoulder while I ate. She never messed up the house and Mom never knew.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that story Bay!
I always wanted to bring a horse in the house, haha.

When I was in elementary school I'd come home for lunch and eat it out back with my pony. She ate everything I ate and we split it all 50/50.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
People do not realize how intelligent horses are. They didn't realize it when Anna Sewell wrote "Black Beauty" to show people that their "engines" were not stupid animals to use up and wear out. William Wilberforce was not only anti-slavery but also anti animal cruelty.
If your horse has been raised to trust, there are few limits to what you can train him to do.
I think that these two Aussies were influenced by Aussie/Texan Clinton Anderson, who used this music in several of his tours where he shows off similar ground training.
Two of my horses have their own poo and pee spots in their stalls. My one gelding is too interested in playing over the stalls with my other gelding, so he mixes everything up and it's harder to clean His stall.
All three of them will mostly not poo in the middle of their north pasture, but use the sides and corners instead and it has created a problem for me since I now have to add fertilizer to bring it back.
I was sick this week and my 16'3hh gelding pushed his stall open and I found him in front of the barn grazing. After filling the manger I told him it was time to go out, I brushed him on the face and he followed me to the gate and went out without a halter or a rope. Routine is key. If you do the same thing every day they learn a routine. Horses LOVE a routine and find it difficult to change from routine.
That makes it difficult to retrain a horse that has no vices, but the owner wants to do a different discipline. The horse thinks it unfair bc he's doing what he was trained to do.
It influences your training when you realize that when you introduce a new skill you have to address attitude and reward immediately an effort to be obedient.
The video shows a LOT of hours put in to repeating and a knowledge that once the horse has learned the skill you do NOT keep repeating it. It will get stale and the horse will resent it.
In this case, these two horses like their work and enjoy showing off.

Latest posts