Forgotten spuds, salvageable?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, since it's both a growing and harvest post.

Can I salvage these??
:hit
I forgot my beloved potatoes! My most favorite thing to do is digging out spuds in the fluffy soil and I totally forgot them! :he For 2 months! :ep

Most are fine, but some have a green skin spot from being exposed, 1 has a green growing stem and leaves, couple others have eyes and even roots. Couple more were chewed on by...well, I don't know.

Am I able to cut out the stem, roots, green area, chewed sections and then use the rest?

I love making mashed potatoes from them, have 8 pounds. Hoping I can use most of it. :fl

If I left the one with a stem, will it have time to grow and produce spuds or too little time? I'm in VA. Should I pot the sprouted ones and hope they grow well in the house?

Thanks!
2015-10-06 16.15.57.jpg
2015-10-06 16.15.43.jpg
2015-10-06 16.15.29.jpg
2015-10-06 16.15.15.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
definitely toss the ones that are green, the rest just remove the stems and roots wash and place in a dry area. but plan on using them in the near future.
still getting a couple stray shoots from my blues that i missed....

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can the pigs eat the green ones? Or is it possible to store them until next year?

Thanks!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
can not answer that one about pigs eating the green ones. as for saving them for next year....toss better safe than sorry..... for the cost of potato seed at the feed stores buy fresh

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can the pigs eat the green ones? Or is it possible to store them until next year?

Thanks!
Hi secuono. You can cook up the green potatoes to help take some of the solanine out of them and feed them to your pigs. A little here and there wont hurt them, but just make sure you don't give it to them frequently.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put the sprouted ones back in the garden. They will more than likely survive the winter. I have potatoes that got missed at harvest growing again the following spring. As Barefoot and Major said, don't eat the green ones, even if you remove the green, the potato will still contain solanine.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to do bucket gardening next year.
Made a new thread about it.
So I can only dig a hole and hope the clay will be fine...

Latest posts