Fostering cats and dogs

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter's friend fosters dogs and cats for a rescue... the humane society got 2 dogs ( one is rather shy but not too friendly, the second is friendly ) and since they were over capacity, sent them to a rescue group. This group , also was over capacity, so they had a lady to take them to foster. Now, this lady got sick and gave these dogs to my daughter's friend , who also does foster for that rescue. She already had 3 foster dogs and 5 foster kittens in addition to her own 2 dogs. She lives with her father on a small acreage, who also owns 4 small dogs. Three days later, this lady started to clean the pens that she kept the dogs in, upon getting into the friendly 60+ lb. dog's pen , she was attacked and severely bitten on her arms. Her father got a shovel and beat that dog away to stop the attack. :ep He then wraped his daughters arms with towels and rushed her to a hospital's emergency . She received 12 stitches on skin tears but not on bite punctures not included . Got rabies and antibiotics shots and was given two pain pills and sent home.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
& your point? Bad things happen to good people?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
& your point? Bad things happen to good people?
No point, just stating a fact of what occured to a kind lady !
Update : Correction- Lady did NOT receive a rabies shot. My daughter showed me photos of the bite victim's R forearm and elbow ... looks like hamburger. After this victim was dismissed from the emergency room and before she was driven home by her father, the bandaged arm was blood soaked. She is in extreme pain so she is popping Tylenol pills after the 2 pain pills' effects wore off. The dog ( lab. retriever, German Shepherd and Golden Retriever and whatever else cross ) that did this damage was a surrender by the owner . Lady owns a goat , and when it came into view of the dog , the dog immediately attacked the fostering lady. The dog was returned to the rescue , who then put the dog down. Speculation is that the former owner surrendered this dog as it chased and possibly killed livestock, but did not reveal this fact.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's terrible. I'm sorry your friend was so badly hurt. I've been bitten through redirected aggression before and it's not fun at all.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Unfortunately, dogs for "rescue" should be checked for aggression esPECIALLY food and territorial aggression. Dogs never forget and vicious dogs are very difficult if not impossible to retrain. I am SO SORRY for her injuries. Not enough good owners for good dogs, much less for messed up ones. My DF was a Mechanical Engineer who used to sell big machinery on the road for the paper/plastics industry, so he would buy me gifts while on the road.
One was a book, "Wild Animals I Have Known."
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...MIv--svqGh5QIVif_jBx16VAo4EAQYBCABEgJFIPD_BwE
MY copy was much newer. One of the stories was a dog story, "Bingo." Bingo was a mixed breed, medium sized and got to chasing the milk cow home and the owner couldn't break him of it. He eventually wandered from home and joined up with a wolf pack. They all consumed poisoned bait and he found Bingo, dead, on his back step.
Sorry for the downer story, but I am now correcting Eva from chasing my cats. It isn't terrible, she never grabs them by the neck---she was beaten for that---but my cats trust other dogs too much, so I don't mind them climbing trees to evade Eva. Still, it is quite the effort.
Those kind of injuries aren't worth it.
Spay and neuter...ad nauseum.

Latest posts