free for SASE - Tulipa tarda (species tulip) seeds

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fresh seed available from Tulipa tarda (=dasystemon), it doesn't really have a common name but it is one of the most common types of species tulip and Latin or no Latin it is incredibly easy to grow. Reliably perennial and inclined to increase fairly rapidly (not obnoxious though) in normal well-drained garden soil. Blooms early in spring with ~2" blooms that open wide in sunny weather, cream with a yellow center (outsides of petals are yellowish with bronzy streaks). About 9" tall. Smaller narrower foliage than 'real' tulips. In bloom they make a wonderful patch of bright 'sunshine' in the garden for a couple weeks.

I know I should post a photo but dialup and photobucket are not a great combination and I have a whole lot of other things to do today, so, sorry :p You could google if you want to see pix.

Sow in pots that you put in a nursery bed and keep watered, or just sprinkle in the garden where you want them under a light mulch (they self-seed very successfully for me if not deadheaded). (In fact, the reason I am posting this now is that it's time to deadhead and I thought someone might want the seeds instead of my just tossing 'em away :p)

It will probably take them a few years to reach blooming size, but if you have room in the garden, hey, they're free :) I'm in Canada but I expect there would be no problem mailing them into the US.

PM me if interested.

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
PM sent. Thanks for the offer Pat. Something a little unusual for our gardens.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Pat...

I just googled it, and they (the tulips) are gorgeous...
I don't know how to PM on here, tell me how??
and if you have any left, I could send you an envelope, or an address??

Athena

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got an envelope in the mail Monday with the sweetest little packet of seeds. THANK YOU! The same day came a catalog that had them in it-such beautiful flowers-I'm very excited.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure if you have any left or not-- I'm catching up on forums. Your PM's are full. If you have any, could you send me your address so I can send my Sase to you? Thanks for the generous offer either way!

Latest posts