Free Garlic

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted some store bought garlic that sprouted. It was the wrong time here to plant also, we had minor success with it, (very minor) as I recall lol. It did get us interested about growing garlic though, last year we did ok but this years garlic is looking awesome. Give it a try if you have the space.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes just plant them sprout up about an inch deep and four inches apart. If some don't have sprouts then pointy end up. Good luck!...:)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did that last spring with some sprouting garlic, and they came up but didn't do much. I thought they all died, so I was surprised to see the greenery late summer. I dig one up, but found only a nub at the end. So I left them all winter. They stayed green, and grew. I haven't dug one this spring yet to see what is growing down there, but I will soon. At this point, I don't know whether it is better to leave them all summer again, or try to harvest now.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, I'd leave them. If you dig one now, it's probably not that much different than the one you looked at last year, except it probably has a real mass of roots. It's getting ready to really grow.

When the tops start to die is the time to harvest, not now. Probably late June or in July for you. I don't think our climates are that much different.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
planting this time of the year they will more in likely mount to very small bulbs , if anything go ahead and plant them. at least you can harvest them like bunching onions.
in past have harvest a few young garlics just for the greens to add to a shrimp scampi, they taste just like garlic....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
speaking of garlic...

elephant garlic

killarney red garlic...

Spanish roja scape...can't wait till more come...yum

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted grocery store garlic last October with the garlic from the garden center. So far all three varieties are growing well and the plants are all pretty much the same size. Although none of them are happy with the single digit temps they have seen in the last few weeks. :(

Latest posts