Free PDF Ebook on How to build a Top Bar hive

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi guys, :frow

I know there are several folks on here interested in getting started in natural beekeeping. I came across some really great info this morning by The Barefoot Beekeeper , Phil Chandler. I'd been on his site before, but he's recently added several free PDF resources and a low-cost PDF version of his book The Barefoot Beekeeper that is also available in print on Amazon. Thought this might be of interest to some of you. Particularly the free plans he's made available on How to Build a Top Bar Hive, which looks easy enough that I could build one myself. This is a horizontal top bar hive, which I hear is easier to work.

If you get a moment, hop on there and check out his site: http://www.biobees.com/

(Vfem, I know your handy hubby could build one of these hives easy peasy! :) )

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting alternative .....simple, economical and seems just right for a small garden. Have put a shortcut to it. THANKS

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you journey. That's just one of the things that makes this such a great site. All the links people post that I probably would never find by myself. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks journey!
edited to add: I splurged and ordered the book! The bit I read on Amazon was inspiring, maybe I'll finally have a hive of my own soon!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you! I've been putting off beekeeping for "someday" because of the cost...with these home made top bar hives and system, I can not only do it for very little cash input

...but it doesn't look like a bee hive and I can go stealth in my neighborhood! hee hee.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Question on this design

So you lift each individual bar and its got honey comb on it? And those just rest on a rail/lip and are not held down?

Im thinking about doing it this spring just want to understand that Ive got the design right.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, and the angle of the shape of the box is supposed to work well with how the bees will draw out the natural comb so there won't be much wasted space. Bees typically work their way upward (which is why the supers go on top with a regular lang. hive). This was one thing about the Warre hive design that I questioned because they add new supers to the bottom instead (and harvest off the top). With this Kenyan top bar hive, being that it is horizontal, there is a different way of manipulating the frames as I understand it, but it is also more versatile and easier for the beek to access. I think it looks easier to build than the Warre. I am wondering though if this design is suitable for colder climates or if there are adaptations that would be needed. I am interested in them, but still need to do more research before I decide to try. His book will explain better the differences and the way he works his. Also check on youtube, I've seen lots of beek videos on there about these hives. They are commmonly called "Kenyan" top bar hives, or look for "The Barefoot Beekeeper".

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gotcha Ive been all over his site and wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. It didnt say anything anywhere so I figured Id ask someone who might know more.

Im still painfully new at this so learning all I can about it. I REALLY want bees just gotta get this figured out. It seems like it would be so easy but there's sooo much info to sort through that I'm having trouble digesting all of it.

I think I have to break down and order his book. I just hope I can get this all figured out in time to set up a hive for this spring.

Latest posts