Freeze Drying?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What has worked for you? What examples are out there in the market?

I thought that I could learn something about it on the Cooperative Extension websites but, after I'd looked at 3, realized that they had given no examples or information for the person at home.

There are 5 coolers in my utility room. None are stuffed full but everything had to come out of the carport fridge because it was 15°f this morning. I've learned from experience that if that part of the carport drops below freezing by just a little, the contents of that big fridge will freeze. I'm hoping that we can make some use of these things and, maybe, move some of it back in that fridge for a few more days.

But, the freezers in the garage are full and the crisper drawers in the house fridge are full. I'm wondering if there are ideas on freeze drying for this year or next. If'n it doesn't take too long, a couple of cookie sheets would take up very little room in the chest freezer. Then what? In a bag on a kitchen shelf?

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the advantages are of freeze drying vs. dehydration, unless using equipment specifically designed for that purpose. Even non-commercial freeze drying equipment is pretty expensive, vs. the relatively low cost & better selection of home dehydrators.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the advantages are of freeze drying vs. dehydration, unless using equipment specifically designed for that purpose. Even non-commercial freeze drying equipment is pretty expensive, vs. the relatively low cost & better selection of home dehydrators.

i was thinking that myself.

@digitS' there is a poster on SS who does a ton of freeze drying using special equipment and she's always happy to answer questions about it. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I much prefer dehydrating, which doesn't really Need a dehydrator, just an oven, or a sunny porch. When you dehydrate, you only need to keep it dry and store in a cool place. Canning jars are ideal for this and you can label them. Dehydrated produce keeps for literally YEARS, no electricity required.
Rehydrated vegetables and herbs are terrific for cooking.

Last edited:

Latest posts