Freezer Question

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok, so I have a really old upright--1980's, maybe?--freezer, in the garage, and I USED to have a 3yo upright freezer, in my basement. The new one was fried in December with a power surge--don't EVEN GET ME STARTED about my local crappy power company!!!!!!!
My insurance company is ready to replace it, but the guy I called to repair, who is from the place I bought it, told me I should also keep the old one and just fix the leak around the door.
I already decided that the new one is gonna go in the garage--much easier to deliver.
My one one is leaking around the seal. The repair guy said I could find a new seal online and replace it.
What do you guys think I should do?
ANY thoughts are welcome bc I'm sitting on the fence about this.
FORTUNATELY, all of my stuff got moved to the garage freezer, I canned all of the grapes that were in the old, garage freezer, so nothing was lost.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Let the insurance company replace the one, fix the leaky one and have two freezers. Door seals are not hard to replace, and besides, you would have a back-up if anything went wrong.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most are held on by a metal or plastic retainer. Open the freezer door and roll the seal back. You should see screws holding the retainer. Remove the screws and retainer and the seal will come off. It may be stuck, but it will peel off. Then just clean the mating surface and install the new seal using the retainer. You will have to slide the seal onto the retainer like the old one was. It's not hard at all. The seal usually rolls up from the inside of the door.

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
and just fix the leak around the door.
If you mean it isn't shutting tight before replacing the seal try this first.

Take a hair dryer to it moving it around the seal getting it really hot.
This heat expends the seal.

This has worked for me every time I've tried it.
A repair man I wish I remember his name to give him credit told me this trick many years ago and I've used it ever since

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Monty...keep the old one. Never hurts to have a back up...and if you get to thinking about getting part of a beef or hog or whatever, you won't have to decline due to lack of freezer space :)

If power surges are an issue, and it sounds as if they are, you might want to invest in a surge protector for your necessaries...fridge, freezer(s), computers. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Wow! Thanks for the advice. As soon as my insurance company replaces the freezer, I'll try the hairdryer advice, first. Monty, that's a great explanation. Thanks! If I need to replace it, I will. I had another very old chest freezer--1972 vintage (it had a label on it, so I know)--That lasted until 2005 before the motor died on it.
Mickey, I'm talking to my electrician soon about the $ of one and for installation. NOT capable of doing my own electrics, unfortunately.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just a thought - a new refrigerator might be more energy efficient than the old and save you $$ in the long run. As much as I hate to junk something that should be fixable. I think the hair drying idea is great - must remember, must remember, must remember...

Latest posts