Freezing baked cobblers ????

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a good apple/pear cobbler receipe that I want to freeze. I bought some tin foil containers.

Should I cook the cobbler first and then freeze or freeze uncooked?

If I cook first and then freeze, when I want to eat it, do I let it thaw and then re-heat? Or re-cook frozen?

Oh, my, this is more complicated that I imagined. Thanks for your help.

Anne

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have done it both ways and had it turn out fine (although, note that I don't mind mushy cobblers - if you do, then frankly the best solution might be to freeze just the *fruit*, and assemble the cobbler when you are wanting it)

I do find that anything intended to have a crispy-ish crumb or oatmeal based topping works best for me if frozen untopped, and the topping mixed up and put on before going into the oven.

Have fun,

Pat

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In my handy-dandy freeze just about anything imaginable book it says to: "freeze the filling in the pan that you'll be baking in. After its frozen, remove from pan, wrap and put back in the freezer. It'll keep well for 3-4 months. When you're ready to use, remove from freezer, place into baking pan, dot with butter, bake in hot oven (400) for 35-40 min. until bubbling hot, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, cover with biscuit topping; return to oven and bake about 20 min. Serve warm. "

Now, if your cobbler is more like a deep-dish pie like mine is the instructions are different as far as the baking part goes. "Place frozen filling in unbaked pastry line pan, dot with butter, top with lattice crust. Bake in very hot oven (475) 15 minutes; reduce temp. to 375 , cover pastry rim with foil and bake 40-50 minutes. "

If you want to freeze a two-crust baked pie: "remove the pie from the oven while the crust is light brown. They will brown more when you reheat them. Cool and freeze without wrapping, but be sure the pie is level while freezing. Package frozen pie like unbaked pies and return to the freezer. Recommended storage time: 4-6 months. To serve, partially thaw baked pie in its original wrap at room temp, about 30 minutes. Unwrap and place on the lower shelf of a moderate oven (350) for 30 minutes or until warm. "

Hope this helps you decide what you want to do.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
I have a good apple/pear cobbler receipe that I want to freeze.
Anne--I have a pile of pears in my house right now. Could you please, please, please share your recipe?:D

Regarding original question, I would freeze the fruit in your tin, then when ready to bake add the cobbler dough on top.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat and chickens, thank you so much.

Blurose, perfect, I am on my way with your experience. Thank you.

Me and the Gals....absolutely, I put the receipe under it's own post....Pear Ginger Crumble. Let me know how you like it. What kind of pears are you going to use? This receipe is so easy.......I can't wait to make and freeze. I still have asian pears left.

Anne

Latest posts