Freezing butternut squash?

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
Has anyone ever freezed butternut squash? If so how did it do? I have so much I was wondering if you can freeze for later use in pies, breads, ect. Thanks

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh goodness YES. It freezes wonderfully for use as mashed squash for dinner, or for breads pies puddings etc.

Just cook it however you usually do (personally, I cut the skin off then cube the 'meat' and microwave it) and stuff it into freezer bags and freeze it :) If you have favorite recipes, it makes life easier if you portion out exactly 2 cups (or whatever the recipe calls for) into each bag and label them as such. You could probably mash it up before freezing but I don't.

Good luck, have fun, enjoy your squash,

Pat

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cube I blanch (about a 3 min blanch also it is easier to peel if you blanch first then just peel your cubes) I freeze then it retains some firmness for stews and curries as well

but also I have found if you just keep it in a cool dry dark place it lasts for a very very long time

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yep what they said. i freeze in portion sizes for my fav recipes so its super easy to grab one and make up some extra delish dishes. like....

squash and bacon pasta.... yummmmmmm

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You could also roast it in the oven then freeze, then it is ready to use as soon as it's thawed. I do this with beets & pumpkin as well.
The roasting also gives more depth to the flavor......

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's what I do. Roast, scoop and freeze. I also do this with acorn and banana squash as well as sweet potatoes.

Last night I made low-carb sweet potato pancakes. I just pulled a frozen bag of sweet taters out, thawed and drained, added almond meal, pumpkin pie spice and some duck eggs. Fried them in ghee, and topped them with melted butter and a slight dusting of sweetener.

::burp::

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
That's what I do. Roast, scoop and freeze. I also do this with acorn and banana squash as well as sweet potatoes.

Last night I made low-carb sweet potato pancakes. I just pulled a frozen bag of sweet taters out, thawed and drained, added almond meal, pumpkin pie spice and some duck eggs. Fried them in ghee, and topped them with melted butter and a slight dusting of sweetener.

::burp::
:drool Never thought of using sweet potatoes that way.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
but also I have found if you just keep it in a cool dry dark place it lasts for a very very long time
That's what I do. I don't have enough precious freezer space to spend it on a veggie that keeps perfectly fine in the basement packed in straw.

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
in the basement packed in straw.
will you provide deets on this?? for instance now that i know my little sugar pumpkins are ripe - and we dug up a bunch of taters.. i need to store them in our 'still summer' time.

yikes!

so in a box? in a tub? straw first? in the dark only?? whats your set up? on and yeah um.. we have about 157 cats (well not really but right now it feels like it) in the house.... i dont want it to turn into a big ol' litterbox!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
we have about 157 cats (well not really but right now it feels like it) in the house.... i dont want it to turn into a big ol' litterbox!
Ah, well, in that case you're probably better off in the freezer. Our cats are forbidden from entering the basement. In any case, you have to cure the stuff in the sun so the stems are completely brown and the shell gets hard.

Normally, I have these old wooden produce boxes, although heavy cardboard would probably work OK too. I put them up on bricks. Put a few inches of very dry straw in. Set the veggies/apples in so they are not touching each other. Put more straw. Cover w/heavy cardboard and store in coldest part of basement. Remove as needed.

Latest posts