Freezing Peas

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was showing off my harvest of peas to a friend. I had frozen them in their pods and he told me I should have taken them out before I froze them. Is he right?
Then he told me the only reason I didn't take them out first is because it looks like more if I didn't!!! (He was right about that! :p)
How do you freeze them?

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of peas they are. If they are snapr or sugar I freeze pod and all, cause we eat it all. Other peas I shell and freeze. You are suppose to blanch but I find they are not as crisp if I do that.

You are right, once you shell them, man was it worth it??? :p

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have read that sugar snaps are best if "oven-blanched" (exactly 2 min in single layer on cookie sheet in 500 F oven, then cooled quickly) - have not tried it.

I think the main reason to shell before freezing is for freezer space reasons? Unless there is a blanching issue too, dunno.

Have fun,

Pat

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Doodle and Pat - Thanks for the replies! I planted garden peas (the kind that are shelled). This was my first experience growing peas. I was surprized by "how many they looked like on the plants" became "how few they looked like" in a freezer bag! :/

Latest posts