French Lavender-Indoors

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hullo everybody! I'm trying to grow French Lavender in a pot inside. The reason being that I can't put anything in the soil outside, since the house I live in is for sale. I read that French was the best for growing in pots. But I also read that it likes soil with lime in it. Well, I have lime, but no idea how much to add... Or do I just fertilize? I'm easily confused. My plant is doing quite well in the tiny pot it came in. It was about five inches tall when I bought it, now it's about twelve inches and well ready to move to a bigger pot. Help?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hennypenny9!

I have it growing outside, so I am really not of any help, I just wanted to say hi. Now I will sit back and let the experts answer this. :pop

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If it's a problem, I could put the pot outside. But the mix of soil is confusing.

Hey BBH. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It would be real hard to provide enough sunlight for lavender to be actually HAPPY indoors. You'd need something like a solarium/conservatory (that didn't get too hot in summer...) or a small room with white walls and very wide high windows on two of the walls.

Why not just grow it in a container *outdoors*? It will work much better. Give it full sun, somewhere warm and sheltered although not absolutely baking, and remember to water it regularly.

DO NOT add lime to your potting mix (they're talking about just a teensy difference in soil pH, don't even TRY to replicate it in a container mix); I would be very sparing with the fertilizer as well, for lavender.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It's currently in a room that gets a lot of direct sun, and if I keep a window open, it isn't too hot. I think that's why it's grown soooo much. I guess I can just transplant it into a pot that can go outdoors. During the winter I may have to bring it indoors, because doesn't it not do well in freezing temperatures? This room seems to be doing well for starting seeds, too. It's a spare bedroom. I started English Lavender, spearmint, garlic chives, and keep a couple houseplants in there. I started doing it because my cat will either eat or pee on any plant bigger than a begonia.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi! :frow

I think FRENCH lavender would do quite well indoors -- a lot better than the common English one! Whenever I have tried to grow it I have had to bring it indoors for the winter as it is not reliably hardy in my part of the UK. It has always flourished beside a large window. Of course it would be happier outside BUT.........!! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts