Fresh leafy herb dressings, sauces, compound butters and dips?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I have always gotten my butter to room temp before mixing in the herbs then log rolled it and chilled it (this was how my son learned in culinary school so I just followed his lead)
I never did try it cold will have to try a new way and not wait until it is soft
Oh, I haven't tried it at room temp. I was taught to do it cold and treat it like ice cream when I scooped it and put it back in the fridge. I'm sure each way works on its own... I'll probably try it at room temp sometime, see if it makes for a better blend. ;)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am all about less work if I can toss the butter chilled in the food processor and not have to wait I am going to do that

we can try both ways and compare!

I forgot to mention I usually use unsalted butter but it is a "to each their own" thing :)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made some compound butter with my herbs two weeks ago, and last week (right before he left town for work) DH threw it out. I forgot to tell him I made it (it was my first time), and he must have thought, "what's this yellow green LUMP in the fridge?" He didn't even ask, just tossed it. I bet he thought he was helping by cleaning out the fridge before his trip. :lol: Gotta love those hubbies.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
I made some compound butter with my herbs two weeks ago, and last week (right before he left town for work) DH threw it out. I forgot to tell him I made it (it was my first time), and he must have thought, "what's this yellow green LUMP in the fridge?" He didn't even ask, just tossed it. I bet he thought he was helping by cleaning out the fridge before his trip. :lol: Gotta love those hubbies.
Oh I totally understand that I made some "green" dip (just chives parsley and thyme with sour cream) and stuck it back in the sour cream container and my husband tossed it with out asking ..the funny part is HE KNOWS BETTER he loves the green dip and really never ever tosses anything even if it is fuzzy ..silly man!!! :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about some

fresh Mint Chutney? (nice and spicy and goes great with curries)

1 big bunch of freshly washed mint
1 big bunch of parsley or cilantro or half and half
1 or 2 jalepenos (I put 2 or 3)
Juice of one or two fresh limes (you have to taste and see how tart you like this
1 inch of fresh ginger grated fine
Salt to taste
Everything in the blender whirl until green and fairly smooth

this is really good you can add some sugar to it for tast actually but I try to avoid that

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Better than Ranch (I think it is better than Ranch anyway! please feel free to mix and match herbs and spices to your liking there are no rules! I just tossed this together and loved it! great for hot wings! )
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 fresh lemon squeezed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar (or other sweetener)
3 cloves of fresh smashed garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
handful chopped fresh flat leafed parsley
handful chopped fresh dill
handful chopped fresh chives
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

put everything in the blender and puree until smooth ..taste for seasoning
pour or dip in or on everything!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh man I know what I want with my hot wings now!!!!!!!!!

You should package and market that... I can just imagine how yummy it is. I bet throwing in some cucumber that's been seeded would make it extra cool for summer BBQs! ;)

Latest posts