Fresh leeks in January

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's been so warm here, well into the 60's, the ground in the garden has thawed, so I went out and pulled some leeks. They've held up well against the frigid weather we've had. I am leaving what's left out there to see if they make it fully through the winter, if they do then they should flower, and the bees will have a nice treat, from what I hear.

Anyways, I made a nice Leek and Potato soup last night for supper. Yummy! It's from Cooking Light, and I also made the Cheddar Toasts that went with it. Here's the recipe, if you're interested (oh yea, and I have plenty of fresh thyme sprigs, too! Too bad I didn't have any Yukon Golds left to use my own potatoes, too):

Golden Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar Toasts

Yukon gold potatoes are the key ingredient to give the soup rich, buttery flavor.

Soup:
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 medium)
6 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (14-ounce) cans organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
2 thyme sprigs

Cheddar Toasts:
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut sourdough French bread baguette
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Remaining Ingredients:
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375.

To prepare soup, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).

Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.

To prepare cheddar toasts, place baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 7 minutes or until toasted. Turn slices over; coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each slice. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with red pepper.

Remove pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with cheddar toasts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup and 1 toast)

CALORIES 299 (25% from fat); FAT 8.6g (sat 4.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 7.5g; CHOLESTEROL 25mg; CALCIUM 113mg; SODIUM 660mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 48.4g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2005

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really, really looks good, Ann :)!

I've only grown leeks the past 2 years. Oh, there was once way-back-when but that might have been Dad & I'm just confusing the gardens.

I had the idea that since leeks are so traditional in the UK that they wouldn't do well here. If a gardening climate could be further from UK-similar, well, this would be far down the path. With low humidity and hot growing weather, imagine my surprise that leeks do just fine!! I've had them in a corner that receives only morning sun, however.

The unfortunate thing is that - they've been gone now for several weeks :(. Since I like to clear the gardens in the Fall even if it means putting things in the fridge & bringing the carrots to stay cheek-to-jowl in a tiny space in the backyard - do you think that would work for the leeks?? That is, could they be "transplanted" in the Fall to live right outside my kitchen door in the soil under a pile of leaves?

Steve

Latest posts