Fresh Pack Pickles

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, we made fresh pack pickles last night. This was our first shot at making pickles. How long do we have to wait to try them? The recipes don't say and I would think just till they cool but my SO thinks that they need to sit for a time. We made the Bread and Butter and the Dill out of the Ball Blue Book. Thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dumb question.... could you PLEASE share the recipe and steps for the dill pickles the way you made them!?

I am interested in trying some... they had some cheap pickle cucumbers at the farm stand when I was up there the other day.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can eat them right away. I usually try and wait a few weeks to let the flavors combine a bit more though. They will be a bit more flavorfull if you wait. :)

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sure! Yesterday was a busy day in the kitchen we had beans galore! So after making two halve pints of Dilly beans and 5 pints pickled beans and 9 1/2 pints regular canned beans. Then we made the dill pickles and then the bread and butter. Here is the recipe.

8 lbs 4-6 inch cucumbers cut length-wise, is what I did was I took a quart jar as that is what I wanted them in and tested them when I was cutting to see if they would fit and if they didn't I cut them in halve and then cut lenght-wise.

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup canning salt

1 quart vinegar

1 quart water

3 tablespoons mixed pickleing spices (this can be found at most groceries in the spice section for those of you that are like us and hadn't a clue)(these require a spice bag we had an old jewlry satchel at home but I know walmart sells them and most other places do to)

Green or dry dill (1 head per jar)(we had dill weed on hand so we did one shake, we will see how that goes)

Wash the cucs and drain, Combine sugar, salt, cinegar and water in a large saucepot. Tie spices in a spice bag; add spice bag to vinegar mixture; simmer 15 minutes. pack cucs into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace; put one head of dill in each jar (for us one shake of the dill weed) Ladle hot vinegar mixture over the cucs leavint 1/4 inch headspace, remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints an quarts 15 min in a boiling-water canner.
Recepe variation that we didn't do but so you know: Kosher-style pickles add 1 bay leaf, 1 clove garlic, 1 piece hot red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed to each jar. Process as above.

I just tasted them and they arn't the flavor that I had pictured but it might be the dill weed.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Earlier in the season, I posted a reply in "The Harvest:Recipes, Canning,Preserving" in answer to "in need of pickling advice." It has a dill pickle recipe that I live by. I can never can enough of them to share with everyone that likes them. They resemble the calusin dills in the grocery Ithe ones you find in the cool cases-meat ,etc. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In general (and I would not think your recipe would be any different), you *can* eat pickles anytime, but it is not necessarily worthwhile eating them before 3-4 wks have passed as they take a while to attain their eventual flavor etc. I'd give 'em a week at least.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts