Frist Flowers this Spring

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
when came home from work , I was greeted by snowdrops flowering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they are small plain flowers but it means others soon to follow.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How exciting! I would love to have some snowdrops in my garden someday! Sometimes those understated flowers are the best. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYBoy, I take a special pleasure in seeing the snowdrops also :).

They were just showing white buds the last time I walked by where someone has them growing in the lawn. I should have walked up a little creek near here the other day. The snowdrops overhang the rocks there in several places. I have seen them blooming beside a bank of melting snow, some years.

Lawn violets will be showing up in my yard at some point. I guess I shouldn't tolerate them but one area gets way too much shade and the grass is in serious competition from the violets.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love snow drops!! They are such optimistic little things... My lawn was full of them at my previous home- so sorry I didn't dig some of them up, when I moved.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are up and blooming too!

Here's a pic from last year.

7504_moose_mama_and_baby_april_2012_019.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
During my rounds today I saw a little wood anemone blooming.

Snow Drops are really beautiful. Perfect for the middle of a patch of mixed daffodils to start the flower show there.

They can and sometimes do outlast a homestead or old house, living beyond those who lived there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is where I find those along a creek, Marshall. It was a home site in 1874.

I realize that isn't especially early for folks in some parts of the country but this person said that his home didn't have an Indian teepee in the front yard, his house was in the Indian's backyard. Yes, the Native and European Americans were living together at that location and a reservation wasn't yet in existence.

There is also watercress in the creek.

Steve :)

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, I love galanthus! That's usually what blooms first for us as well...a real herald of spring, and so nice to see some color!

No blooms of anything here yet, but I did notice yesterday that the tulips are up about 3 or 4 inches, there are some volunteer Bachelors Buttons growing and the iris leaves are starting to green up. Yippee! Come on, spring!