from 'comunity garden' - into 'first try at a garden'..

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If your compost pile is extremely hot, you need to turn it. If it gets too hot, you will discover ash in the center. I had a compost pile actually catch fire once.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave it a bit of a 'stir' last night = pulled about 24" out all around the center - put the dryer/less 'finished' looking stuff in deeper and covered with the more 'finished' looking stuff.

I haven't disturbed the lowest, center-most bit since I added all that donbunkin poo. We're expecting ANOTHER weekend of rain
4fvgdaq_th.gif
so I'm hoping on Friday to be able to tear it down completely and add some soil from the ditch digging project going on near the barn - and then, of course pile it up again.
It's sort of a zen thing - all this digging and spreading and piling...
meditationf.gif

Oh by the way - that mushroom tea I poured on it a little while back ..... I found several HUGE mushroom stem looking things all through the pile last night - great big things! I guess that's good. ? Alsos I've got worms. LOL Or rather, Rotmore has worms. BIG ones! I scooped up a few last night and tossed them in the coop - I thought there was going to be a riot... the fat, feathered hogs!
www_MyEmoticons_com__burp.gif

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, I've heard of those catching fire, so careful about that...don't know if it'll erupt, but the USGS might have to list it as a volcano...

BobM, I don't do the green leafy substance even though I live in the middle of all that. Never did very much, maybe less than you, but a few years ago my eye doctors told me it is contraindicated. That red eye thing? Those are enlarged capillaries, they bring in more immune system antibodies, the last thing I need.

ok, back to moving my compost around...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
I gave it a bit of a 'stir' last night = pulled about 24" out all around the center - put the dryer/less 'finished' looking stuff in deeper and covered with the more 'finished' looking stuff.

I haven't disturbed the lowest, center-most bit since I added all that donbunkin poo. We're expecting ANOTHER weekend of rain http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4fvgdaq_th.gif so I'm hoping on Friday to be able to tear it down completely and add some soil from the ditch digging project going on near the barn - and then, of course pile it up again.
It's sort of a zen thing - all this digging and spreading and piling... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif

Oh by the way - that mushroom tea I poured on it a little while back ..... I found several HUGE mushroom stem looking things all through the pile last night - great big things! I guess that's good. ? Alsos I've got worms. LOL Or rather, Rotmore has worms. BIG ones! I scooped up a few last night and tossed them in the coop - I thought there was going to be a riot... the fat, feathered hogs! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/www_MyEmoticons_com__burp.gif
Do yourself a favor and do not add dirt to an active compost pile. It doesn't provide any benefit at all and will actually slow the process down.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh wow.. good to know.
I thought that there were 'good bugs' in the soil that helped things along.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are all sorts of good reasons for adding soil but . . . timing is everything in life.

I have a lot of soil in my compost. Mostly, I am in no hurry and things seldom get hot. One reason for the soil is to hold moisture thru these dry summers here. It kind of sounds like you don't need to worry about holding moisture, Cane'.

Starting with some good garden soil, or old compost, is probably a very good thing for you to do. Now that the compost is cookin' -- adding it is just a step towards making potting soil. Good or bad idea?

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Yea, I've heard of those catching fire, so careful about that...don't know if it'll erupt, but the USGS might have to list it as a volcano...

BobM, I don't do the green leafy substance even though I live in the middle of all that. Never did very much, maybe less than you, but a few years ago my eye doctors told me it is contraindicated. That red eye thing? Those are enlarged capillaries, they bring in more immune system antibodies, the last thing I need.

ok, back to moving my compost around...
Back in College, while I attended a large party ( when more and more hippies were being seen on campus) this girl came around with a dish of cookies to pass around. I ate ONE of them and the results were NOT so pretty. I vowed to never knowingly consume or smoke any of that funny green stuff ever again. Several years ago 2 guys came and asked if they could grow some of that green leafy stuff on my property in an area behind a hill. ( in Cal. , if someone is caught growing it, your property is siezed ). I declined and sent them packing followed by a load of rock salt as they high tailed it stage left. I then called the Sheriff to ID them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, BobM now lives in a state where personal possession and growing is now legal.

As best as I understand.

We will begin to call it "hemp" and it won't have to be hidden behind a hill anymore. I guess.

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Oh wow.. good to know.
I thought that there were 'good bugs' in the soil that helped things along.
Once the compost is cooking, the bacteria and other organisms needed are already present. Adding dirt will make the compost much heavier to turn, can cool the pile prematurely, and in some cases cause the pile to hold too much water.
Personally, I never add soil to a compost pile, ever. All of the composting organisms are already present in the materials, they just need the correct environment to be fruitful and multiply. If you use the correct C:N ratio, aeration, and have the right moisture level, it's going to cook. That's nature doing its thing. Pile it up properly, let it heat up. When it gets good and hot, turn it. Add a little water if needed. That's composting in a nutshell.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last week things were going along great. I had planted tomatoes, corn, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, 2 kinds of squash and a few cabbages.
This picture is actually from planting day (2 weeks ago, I think?)
8721_gardenplanted41413_2.jpg

This morning I open the door to let the dogs out and the cold breeze coming in curls my toes! So I rush to the back door to check the temperature and its 36!
THIR-TEE-SIX!!!!!! :th

What, do you suppose, are the chances that any of them are ok?
The squashes, carrots and cucumbers haven't sprouted yet.. so maybe. The radishes and cabbages like cool weather, don't they?? So maybe they're fine. But the corn, tomatoes and peppers........?

Latest posts