Fruit and Vegetable Pics

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh, i see! I was having a really hard time picturing huckleberries in your garden!:p just had some on my salad for dinner, soooo good!

Anyway, i went the aluminum sulfate route, since of course i didnt plan ahead enough! Now i want to get some hydrangeas so i can make them blue!! How fun would THAT be!:weee and mulching tomorrow, after weeding (bleck), a little behind schedule on that, oh well. So...do i need to do the aluminum sulfate every year? Or should i just check the pH? Or if (if) i did it right should it be okay from here on out?

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A light application each spring would probable suffice. If you can get a cheap ph test kit that would be great. You want a ph of 5-6. Also, don't over fertilize. Just a little compost or manure each spring is all they need. Never fertilize any fruit trees or shrubs in the fall. It can create tender new growth that might get winter kill. Good luck with those hydrangeas. They are beautiful when they bloom!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver said:
. . . Nothing beats fresh blueberries, and they are super food with anti-cancer properties. I hope yours do well.
Good thing Heather needed more information on blueberries after that opinion on berries.

You see, Heather is frolicking around up there in Montana with real huckleberries! Right there where she has spread her beach towel - it sounds like ;).

And, you think you've got it good with blueberries . . . Ha!

digitS'
known troublemaker

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know - i think i'm rather silly to have blueberries in my garden with all the gabillions of hucks around!! But i like the plants, and berries. And i only got 2 bushes :) i assume you have hucks where you are steve?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to ignore that digitS' sometimes - especially when it comes to huckleberries . . .

Huckberries in French vanilla ice cream, oh man!! Huckleberry preserves on good toast . . . I had huckleberries in my Sunday pancakes, today!

:p

I've been huckleberry picking but not for ages. Stumbled around on what must have been an 80 south-facing slope and managed to pick about a cup's worth . . . :/

I was a lot better at finding morels but that's hardly consolation :rolleyes:. I do know people who are very good at picking huckleberries.

Steve :D
see the purple stains in my teeth?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're having huck pancakes tomorrow!!!!!!!:ya and i'm awful at finding morels, which sucks because i think i like them more than hucks. But probably thats cause i cant find them :/. :happy_flower <----- huckleberry sun
whoopsie this thread will have to be renamed!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing better than huckleberry ice-cream, unless it is huckleberry pancakes steve is right. But there was a place in athol ID called Lukes BBQ, that made it's own huckleberry BBQ sauce, they had huckleberry baby back ribs that I would drive that far to eat as often as possible. I do not think it is open anymore but that was the best sause I ever had!

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay! Stop rubbing it in! There's some things we rebels can grow that y'all yankees can't! :lol: But sometimes i really do want to move to the arctic circle. This global warming shizz is really getting out of hand! we need a new ice age! :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver, we can't grow huckleberries.

The University of Idaho has been trying to develop a domestic cultivar for decades. I think it is primarily (or entirely) an elevation thing - if we all want to move to the tree line and tend huckleberries, they might make it happen.

Otherwise, we happen upon them in the wild. Or, in my case, we struggle around in inhospitable climes until we stagger back to the pickup with purple stains on our faces and not much more . . .

I mean, there has to be some good reason to hang around at a lower altitude - on the glacial till, nonetheless, - waiting for a chance to rush up into the mountains to grab some huckleberries. There is a single-mindedness to this existence, but there are rewards.

Now, back to horticulture - dormant spray for fruit trees. I am going to have to deal with leaf curl in a better way with the peach tree in my backyard. Do you think that your soap and oil spray would help with disease? It seems that these dormant sprays are all oil based but surely the target for those sprays are insects - right?

Steve
who knows little about fruit trees

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in, but peach leaf curl is a fungus that overwinters in the crevices of the bark. Dormant spray in the fall after leaf fall.
Now, back to your regular forum topic....:)

Latest posts