Fruit Flies!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to get rid of fruit flies? They're really bad in my kitchen. I've tried a glass of champagne with saran wrap over it w/holes poked in it. That hasn't worked.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Seems like everytime I bring in fresh fruit or veggies, I have to deal with those annoying little buggers, too. If they get too bad, I put everything that is on the counters in the fridge for a couple of days. They seem to disappear. If that doesn't work, I mist whatever they are on with water. That knocks them off so I can squish them. :mad:

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hate them too. I thought I'd have to worry with my worm bins and fruit flies-but no...no fruit flies in them for a yr. now-but let harvest season come and I can't get rid of them.
My husband has resorted to hanging a sticky fly strip in the kitchen-I hate it.
There just too much fresh fruit to put it all in the fridge-so I keep chasing fruit flies around the kitchen...well at least they aren't HORSEFLIES-yuk!

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I cannot see the little buggers!!! What I have done
.... using a small glass or jar...I use shot glasses
.....fill with apple cider vinegar leave an inch space
.....cover top with saran wrap use an elastic to secure
.....make sure saran wrap is smooth no wrinkles
......I use a wooden shish ka bob squewer and poke
three holes in the top and place it where there flying around. They can go in but cannot get out.
You may have to make alot of traps to get everything under control....I usually leave one hidden behing the fruit bowl all summer...changing it often ..cause i cannot see the little buggers!!!! Good Luck ! Forgot to mention that with my worm bin I was told to place a big damp piece of newspaper over the dirt leaving no dirt showing.....seemed to help.....yes i even put a glass of vinegar next to the worm bin.....lol

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have found that sneaking up on the fruit bowl with a vacuum cleaner, then turning it on suddenly as the flies start to take wing, seems to help thin the population down a bit.

I've also tried letting a 'sacrificial fruit' sit out at the other end of the kitchen (I use one that is already bruised or badly messed up) in hopes that the fruit flies will go lay their eggs *there* instead of on my good fruit. I am not positive that it helps, but think it might.

The biggest thing I've learned is that once I've got fruit flies in the house, new fruit gets stored in another room, and the old (fruit fly-ey) fruit gets inspected daily and Something Done With suspicious ones.

You can buy pheromone-based traps, but I've never tried 'em.

Good luck,

Pat

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I have found that sneaking up on the fruit bowl with a vacuum cleaner, then turning it on suddenly as the flies start to take wing, seems to help thin the population down a bit.
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!! I can just see this in my head :lol:

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2468Gardeningisgr8 said:
I cannot see the little buggers!!! What I have done
.... using a small glass or jar...I use shot glasses
.....fill with apple cider vinegar leave an inch space
.....cover top with saran wrap use an elastic to secure
.....make sure saran wrap is smooth no wrinkles
......I use a wooden shish ka bob squewer and poke
three holes in the top and place it where there flying around. They can go in but cannot get out.
You may have to make alot of traps to get everything under control....I usually leave one hidden behing the fruit bowl all summer...changing it often ..cause i cannot see the little buggers!!!! Good Luck ! Forgot to mention that with my worm bin I was told to place a big damp piece of newspaper over the dirt leaving no dirt showing.....seemed to help.....yes i even put a glass of vinegar next to the worm bin.....lol
Now I've got to try that one - sounds good - My tall children and my jumping cats wouldn't have to get stuck in my fly tapes. :rolleyes:

Latest posts