Fruit flies

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know this could go under the pests area, but since it's related to the harvest being in my kitchen, I opted to place it here. (I hope that's ok)

How do you all keep the fruit flies down when you're bring all this yummy garden goodness into your kitchen? I tend to have the tomatoes on my counter because I've always been told that refrigerating them makes them lose their taste. Unfortunately, there are always a few that tend to ripen quickly and the inevitable fruit flies appear and are happy and multiply.

Help! (And thank you :))
Jo Ann

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are pesky lil devils aren't they? Here's what I do. Take some type of small container...or 2 or 3 if they are really bad. The little plastic yogurt or fruit cup containers work very well. Fill about 1/3 of the way with apple cider vinegar and then put a piece of plastic wrap (saran wrap, a piece of bread wrap, anything like that) over the top and secure it in place with a rubber band. Poke a few holes in the plastic with a pencil or a pen and the little pests crawl in and can't get back out. Hope this helps! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I was told to build a gardeners table outside with an old sink, clean the veggies for the most part outside and place in a cooler to bring in later when everything is finished. That should help a lot with the issue...

I'm still building the table... slowly!

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Now I was told to build a gardeners table outside with an old sink, clean the veggies for the most part outside and place in a cooler to bring in later when everything is finished. That should help a lot with the issue...

I'm still building the table... slowly!
Hmm, I like the cooler idea. Do they not ripen/rot too quickly inside an enclosed cooler?