Fruit trees as a focal point in zone 5a/5b

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm planting up the front garden and we would like to have a fruiting tree there. We currently have an orchard by our vegetable garden, and mum really wants a fruiting mulberry tree for the front garden (we can get them locally) but I was worried that because it says on the labes "Favourite of birds" that we'd be overwhelmed with 5 billion blackbirds all divebombing the tree at once for mulberries! ... Do birds really go crazy over them? This is going to be in the front garden so I reallllyyy don't want to get pooped on / bothered by loads of birds while eating dinner (our dining area is out front). How large do they typically get? Also, are they intrusive/foundation wreckers like maples and oak can be? The tree would be about 10-15 ft from the house and 10-12 ft from the chicken coop. What do mulberries taste like? They look like blackberries but do they taste like blackberries?

Any special care considerations for our winters, should I wrap the tree in burlap ... The local nurseries only stock what does best in our zone, so I assume since they stock fruiting mulberries that we'd be okay growing them. Do mulberries need a mate like pears, apples, etc?

Any other suggestions for fruiting trees are also welcome. Currently in the orchard we have 2 Lapins Cherries (which have fruit on them, yipee! they survived the frost the other night), 3 Nectarine, 2 Anjou Pear (not big enough to fruit and I'm looking into a complimentary pear to go along with them), 2 Italian Plum, and 3 Gala Apples.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
"Favourite of birds" that we'd be overwhelmed with 5 billion blackbirds all divebombing the tree at once for mulberries! ... Do birds really go crazy over them?
Where I grew up in PA there were a good number of mulberry trees. The birds *eating* the berries was not really the problem -- it was the sequel. Imagine three trillion pinky-purpley mulberry poo-splats all over your driveway, car, patio, whatever. Eeuuw.

I love mulberries, I'd plant 'em if they were reliably hardy here, but I would not plant one near the house or living areas, personally. Although obviously some people do, so it's not like you *can't*.

How large do they typically get? Also, are they intrusive/foundation wreckers like maples and oak can be? The tree would be about 10-15 ft from the house and 10-12 ft from the chicken coop. What do mulberries taste like? They look like blackberries but do they taste like blackberries?
The ones I'm used to would get 20-30 ft easy, and I am under the impression they have vigorous but not overly invasive roots. I don't know whether they get as big up here though as they may not grow as fast or as healthily, and may lose ground to winterkill some years. I just dunno.

They don't taste much like blackberries to me, they have their own unique sort of musky flavor. Also there is the sort of gristly center :p of the fruit, that's really part of the stem but it stays with the berry when you pick it, so they are not quite as pleasant-eating as raspberry/blackberry type berries.

The local nurseries only stock what does best in our zone, so I assume since they stock fruiting mulberries that we'd be okay growing them. Do mulberries need a mate like pears, apples, etc?
I believe they are monoecious, both sex parts on the same flower, so don't need a pollinator. If your local nurseries only stock things that do well in your zone then they are more or less unique on the planet, I have never seen anywhere else that's true (although I have to credit one of our local ones for at least *labelling* things that are not reliably hardy here, as such). I believe that mulberries (white mulberries at least, dunno about the others) are commonly listed as hardy to Canadian zone 5-6. You could ask around, see if there seem to be any others growing in your area; or just take a gamble if you don't mind the risk. It *might* work. Certainly if you can grow sweet cherries and nectarines RELIABLY OVER THE YEARS you should be able to grow a mulberry.

What about a crabapple?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
What about a crabapple?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
I vote for crabapple... less mess, and the birds still eat it up! (Plus I think it has pretty flowers in pink or white!)

I'm planting some on the side of the house mingling with dogwood to get a simple privacy screen for summer night when we've got parties going on, on the deck! ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pat pretty much answered your questions. I'll emphasize the staining problem. Do not have them around any concrete, wood, fabric awnings, metal or plastic that you don't want spots on. A ripe mulberry is juicy and will stain anything it touches. Birds just spread the problem.

I tried planting one last season but it looks like the deer killed it before I got the deer fence around it. I will try another one next winter as it looks like this one will not come back. If you do plant a mulberry and you have a deer problem, be warned the deer around here would bypass apple, peach, plum, and almond to get to the mulberry. They love pear and cherry too with pecan fairly high on the list.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a mulberry -- I love it but they are right about the staining & the birds go mad about it. That doesn't worry me because it is down by my chicken coops & the root problem ditto (well away from the house). What I would warn you about is that it GROWS VERY FAST & in a rather untidy manner -- not quite what you want in your front garden, I suspect! All the mulberries I have seen (mostly the dark-fruited ones) have developed into wide trees, ie they have spread sideways rather than upwards. In very old trees the limbs have had to be supported with wooden posts. I have seen trees originally planted in the 17th Century which have spread over around 20ft on the ground. I can see that tendency in my tree. I planted a 3 year old tree 7 years ago -- it was about 2'6"high -- now it has to be12ft high &wide. I have pruned its width; I have to, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get into one of my chicken coops.....!!

How about planting a quince tree -- beautiful large blossom and stunning large fruit which you leave on the tree until after the first frost. Later you can make them into great jelly. Best of all, the birds leave them alone as the fruit has very thick skin.

Hope this helps :happy_flower
:rose Hattie :rose