fruit trees

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're ordering some 5 in 1 fruiting trees and hardly ever managing any plants, i've got a question or two. I read somewhere you have to prune the different graphs different ways to get fruit to grow. I thought pruning was just shaping. so say you had a fruit cocktail tree , how do I get the fruit to grow? and at what age does the tree produce fruit?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I imagine that you will have to read up on each type of fruit, that your tree has on it, to manage it properly. I know that plums for instance should be pruned in June. which seems like a bad time to prune a tree. Other fruits need late winter pruning. As for the different ways to prune, some buds are fruit buds, others are leaf buds. You will need to identify the different types of each, so you don't end up cutting out the wrong branches, etc.. Pruning is for shaping a tree, but there are certain ways to prune different species to maximize fruit production as well.

Sounds like a novel idea, but might be quite a challenge too. :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with bills, this seems like a great idea but each of the fruits require somewhat different pruning methods.

Does the distributor/nursery where purchased provide any type of advice on how to prune these trees? You may want to ask them.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is a 1-3 yr old tree, I would not expect fruit for several years and indeed you would be best off removing any that starts to form during that time period so the tree can establish itself as best possible, and the grafts can strengthen.

As others have said, when and how you prune each graft requires some looking up of information, since you do not want to prune off the wood that will be flowering next year :p

Pat

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You don't say what kind of 5 in 1 tree you have ... apple varieties or plum. or peach? Usually, they come together by broad type ... you don't get apples and peaches on the same trunk. Once you know which type, you can prune according to the type of fruit. Peaches and plums fruit on one year old wood so you have to constantly encourage new growth. Apples fruit on established wood and they key here is to create growth that is between 0 degrees (horizontal) to 45 degrees. You do the latter by using sticks to train the new growth to the degree of vertical you want.

As has been said, pruning is tough. Go to the library and get a book.

One last advice, don't be timid about pruning.

Paul

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
the distributor doesn't provide that info in their discription, but i'm sure I could call. nectarines, peaches, plums, and apricots is what this one tree says it grows, and the other tree we will get has 5 different kinds of pears.
so from what I understand, snip of a young trees fruit buds as to let the tree graphs get better holds, and you don't really have to prune other than to shape, unless I want maximum fruit production.

now a 3 year old tree CAN produce fruit, but it's not really ideal for the tree, right?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A 3 year-old tree can produce fruit, yes but like Pat said, you should not encourage fruit production so the tree can establish itself.

For the most part, yes, pruning isn't a huge problem. Besides for taking off damaged or diseased areas and abnormal growth you really don't need to prune. We have fruit trees in southern california that haven't been pruned in years and they produce fruit. True, not as prolific as the ones we tend to consistently.

You might also want to prune any branches that may cause stress on the whole tree that may cause it to break a main branch later. This may not be necessary if the tree only grows 10 feet as the website indicates but never hurts.

I would call the distributor and ask them for any advice they have.

And you probably wouldn't need another tree to pollinate in this case. Might want to ask though.

Latest posts